Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

So 18mths back I reluctantly sold off my is200 sportcross in favour of a saab 9-3 estate. Now as much as I have enjoyed the saab, I keep coming back to the fact that I miss the fit and finish of Lexus. So. Been looking at 250's and 220's around 2008 reg 60k on the clock. Seem a lot more 220's than 250's available but having seen some of the gripes written here I'm sort of put the 220, or should I be? I'm not looking for mega mpg 35-40 is more than enough for me so what else should I worry about on the 220, or is the 250 all round better?

Forget the IS220d....do a search on here, too many problems for that age. The IS250 is almost as economical. You might get a good one, but the risks out weigh the benefits IMHO. The IS250 Auto is so much better

I have a simple rule; if you want a good diesel, buy a german car (VW/Audi or BMW); if you want a good petrol car, then get a Japanese one - that means Lexus for a Luxury car, or a Toyota/Mazda. The new Korean cars are good basic all rounders (Petrol or Diesel).

If you have to have a Lexus - then get what they do best - Petrol or Petrol/Hybrid auto's.

I have a simple rule; if you want a good diesel, buy a german car (VW/Audi or BMW); if you want a good petrol car, then get a Japanese one - that means Lexus for a Luxury car, or a Toyota/Mazda. The new Korean cars are good basic all rounders (Petrol or Diesel).

If you have to have a Lexus - then get what they do best - Petrol or Petrol/Hybrid auto's.

Wot he said :rolleyes:

Cheers chaps, 75/25 in favour of the 250 now. Just need to remind myself that around town I'll drop from my current 30mpg to 20 again (which sort of influenced the move to the saab) most short trips I now do in te wives alfa so it probably will mainly be motorway mileage

Round the doors I get about 25 mpg, mixed driving about 30 and up to 38 mpg on a decent motorway run.

The IS250 does like premium petrol and runs a lot better on it IMHO so I would factor that into the costs.

As mentioned on here before the manual is nasty for road tax (£470) as I have found out so get an auto which is approx £230

Overall I am delighted with my IS250 manual (if not the road tax) and the drop in mpg are more than made up with the joy of driving it.

+1 to that.

27/29 around town

34/38 on a run

Auto road tax is £270 (well, what I last paid)

Auto box is just sublime. Paddles or sequential gearstick too, if you want to try a manual moment.

Go for the IS250 mate. I've just sold my IS220d after just 6 months as i was very unimpressed with the engine and gearbox. With petrol prices as they are in the UK i'd imagine it's no more expensive to run the IS250

I also forgot to say get an IS250 which has the Mark Levinson stereo because it is excellent....IMO it is one of the best factory fitted stereos in any car on the road. I have had Ranger Rover, BMW M series and Merc E class drivers all comment on how good it sounds.

• Like 1

My demand list is growing :-). 250 not 220, 2007/2008, sub 60k, fsh, Auto box, really nice owner, good tyres and rims. MLS, anything else? I think I may have more luck finding the holy grail

• Like 1

My demand list is growing :-). 250 not 220, 2007/2008, sub 60k, fsh, Auto box, really nice owner, good tyres and rims. MLS, anything else? I think I may have more luck finding the holy grail

Don't rush into it. Be patient and see a few to get a 'feel' for the car. Took me months to find the right one and then I travelled 160 miles to view it and went back on the train to pick her up.

Be aware you are at the point where the 'big' service (60K miles) with spark plug change is done. Heard tales of that being £800+. This will be done at 6 yrs or 60K miles whichever comes first. So get one where it has been done and you want FLSH all stamped up in the book. Good to have all receipts with it too. I keep everything in a separate folder for each car, I'd expect someone I'm buying from to do the same...shows a degree of care for the vehicle.

+1 for SEL, especially the face lifted '58 plated ones with the darker wheels. They only came in Auto guise. I'd even consider a slightly higher miler of those, that way as Normski says, you'll be sure it's had the 60k service if it has a full Lex history.

It all comes down to budget! How much you willing to spend?

Check out Pistonheads, and Autotrader....

Budget wise, up to around 8k if the motor is straight. How come a 60k service is so much? Are we talking plugs water pump etc. ? Or is the cost just bumped up over an ordinary service as the plugs are so expensive and labour costs high to change ?

The car I have had just had the £60k service done at Lexus Carlisle when I brought and and the receipt was £560. When I checked it the spark plugs where coming it at about £160 so that adds a lot.

There does not seem to be that many parts added as such, but they top all the fuilds and have a very detailed report produced.

Before I brought the car I called Lexus Carlisle to confirmed if they had advised the previous owner of any work needing done and that was why he was getting rid. But they advised nothing came to light and everything was fine.

I would suspect a lot of owners will get shot of these cars before this service because it is nasty and if they uncover anything else you could easly be looking at a bill of over £1K.

Therefore as previously mentioned if you are looking for an IS250 around this mileage i would ensure this service has been completed before you commit. If not try and arrange a discount to cover the cost of it.

It is good to know all the costs up front and you can then make an informed decision about what is best.

You do get a lot of car for your money with these and I find I forget how good the spec is until I step into other cars and notice the difference.

250 all the way, mixed driving I get 29mpg and i'm not light on the throttle! The auto box and flappy paddles are fantastic

Heated seats for winter and bo**ock coolers in the summer

Love this car!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links