Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Advice Needed - Abs System

DeanMoreland

Hi All, I wonder if anyone could give me some advice/pointers on a problem with my ABS system. Just got the car back from an insurance repair yesterday and when I took it out for a spin the ABS warning light and Traction lights started flashing. Added to this - when you brake - even at 10Mph - the car comes to a stop - but immediatley following this the pedal drops about 1 inch and the car seems to jolt forward very slightly. Happens about 90% of the time. If I send it back to the insurance company and they say its not their problem (despite them having the car for the last 6 months), I have only 11 days before my warranty expires. Has this even happened to anyone else? Forgive me, but I am not very technically minded when it comes to car mechanics! :)

Cheers in advance, Dean

The car had offside damage to the rear wing (after hitting a lampost in a spin) - apparently they rebuild the suspension on the offside - replaced the drive shaft and sub frame(?) - also replaced the rear bumber, boot, boot floor, and near side wing as it was knocked out of alignment. Actually they did most of this twice, as the first repair was very poor. Thanks, Dean

Hi Dean,

Sorry to hear of your problems. So many people seem to have problems with insurance repairs!

With the engine turned off pump the brake pedel a few times to get it firm and then hold the pedal down for 30 seconds. If the pedal starts to move down you may have a leak in the system. Also check the fuild level to make sure it hasn't dropped.

It does sound like the brakes need bleeding and I would take it back to the repairers and insist they fix the problem. In fact I wouldn't drive the car as it sounds dangerous so make them come and pick it up.

Thanks for your advice gents - will go and try your suggestion now....and provide an update. I will certainly be calling them in the morning - and try and persuade them to take it into Lexus Leicester to get checked over. The MD of the company called me a couple of weeks ago to apologise for the 6 months timeframe I have been waiting - he forgot to withold his number!! Called him to have another moan yesterday - he was in B&Q :) not overly impressed! ha But I will keep at him...

Tried as you said Colin - pedal doesn't really move at all - and the fluid res is at Max. If the ABS isn't functioning correctly is there a backup system in place that will work without ABS? Do you think its safe enoough to use at very low speed round town (like nipping round my mums for sunday roast :) ) Thanks again. Dean

The normal braking system will still work even if the ABS system shuts down. You won't have traction control as that needs the ABS system to work.

However you have said that even the standard braking system isn't working correctly so I would be reluctant to use the car.

Hi Guys, Well the insurance company decided to put the car into Wolverhampton Toyota - recommended by the repair company - who found nothing wrong with the brakes at all :( When I found this out I insisted it went to Lexus (Wolverhampton also) - and they had basically said that the only problem they can find is that the front brake discs are low. Would low brake discs cause this behaviour?

Is there a legal minimum for brake discs? Taking into account they have had the car for 7 months nearly - it can't be me who has worn them down this much. Only had the car serviced 1000 miles before the accident and they said the brakes were all good for 5000 miles + ...!?

Any input/advice would be appreciated - If they change the discs and the problems is still there - I have told them that I will not accept delivery - but not sure were I stand with Lexus Wolverhampton saying they didn't detect any problems - However the AA Inspector and the Insurance Engineer did.

Cheers all, Dean

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys, Well Lexus Wolverhampton finally found the fault - something to do with a faulty ABS sensor at the front - and resetting the ECU - so they told me anyway. They then kindly put the car through its MOT for free and delivered it back to me on the 20th. However, although the brakes were fixed, there was a loud rotational noise coming from the front near side and vibration through the gear stick, floor and pedals - and the steering was lazy - didn't react until at least a qtr of a turn - and pulled left when straightning up. So £17k worth of work later - much anger on my part - and nearly 8 months down the line - they have finally decided to give up and have paid my finance company the market value at May 2003. So now I don't have a brake problem as I don't have a car - well when I give them their Merc back I won't! Thanks for all your advice and help gents....perhaps I will go for another IS200 in the future and be back online. Cheers, Deano

Yep - £17k of work plus the money paid for engineers, consultants, aa inspections etc - your talking over £20k in total - I have been in shock for the past 7 months Steve. When I questioned this every step of the way they simply replied that there was complex calculations to be taken into account! " So the car is worth £10k and you want to spend £20k repairing it - hmmm! OK! That makes sense.....not. " :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links