Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Advice Sought - Testing The Exhaust For Coolant Loss

"Yes they may have access to "trained" engineers"

The problem with my local Dealership is that none of the mechanics who were around 10/15 years ago, & know these cars inside out, are still there…they've all gone!

At the end of the day my GS was put in for a Visual Safety Report, which was worth doing. Trouble was the £84 charge doesn't buy time for much else.

Well once again, it could have been so much worse, well done for spotting it!

Yep, to say the problem was tucked away is rather an understatement! Having maintenance skills that go no further than checking fluid levels & tyre pressures, I was quite pleased with myself :D

It isn't going to be a cheap fix like the LPG coolant pipework. The Lexus Pipe & Gaskets are over £100 & the Head on that side has to come off.

But we're getting there & without any major problems to report!

Well spotted. I've had several LPG converted cars in the past and I found that generally, LPG converted coolant systems are harder to bleed than unconverted cars. I had a V8 Range Rover once where the only way to bleed it was to use mains water pressure from a hose pipe sealed onto the rad and let the pressure bring all the air and water out to the expansion tank (with the cap off).

Worth noting or the future, maybe.

Worth noting or the future, maybe.

I certainly will.

Under the previous owner, Lexus replaced the rad which ended up in a failed LPG regulator. Apparently caused by an air lock.

Yes, when an air lock is present in the coolant supply to the regulator, the vaporiser freezes when the liquid LPG expands into gas. This can cause a split regulator diaphragm (I too have experienced this). Luckily for you, you have a new regulator, but in future, the internal diaphragm can easily be replaced if it happens again.

Thanks Giles, handy to know. Since the previous owner had the whole regulator replaced, I thought it was the only option if it fails again.

Maybe I've been lucky covering 100,000 miles in my previous LPG converted GS300…haven't had any problems. In contrast, the system on the 430 has only been on there for 18 months / 10,000 miles and it's already on it's 2nd regulator!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links