Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx300 - Replacing Air Suspension With Standard Struts? Tire Profiles?

I have a RX300 2006 with Air suspension. Compared to a standard struts RX300, I think my RX gives a much more harsh ride. So I wonder: In an American forum I read that some RX owners have replaced the AIr struts with conventional struts. According to them, this is just an easy swap with the right part and costs a fraction of replacing Air suspension parts. Anyone here have some information about this?

Next question would be: My tires are 225, 55 R18. I had an Avensis once which I replaced the 17 inch 55 profile with 16 inch 60 profile. This improved road noice and smooth ride enormously! What tires can I choose for my RX to improve the comfort? Would 17 inch 60 profile be ok on a RX300? Or..?

Morton

• 1 year later...

I have the same problem as your question about changing air suspension by standard.

did you find a solution? 

I also wonder whether individual air struts might be replaced with standard shock absorbers, and if so what effects?

jim

On 4.3.2016 at 6:29 PM, Jim Rigby said:

I have the same problem as your question about changing air suspension by standard.

did you find a solution? 

I also wonder whether individual air struts might be replaced with standard shock absorbers, and if so what effects?

jim

No. I went to my local Toyota/lexus dealer and they could switch it with the original RX300 struts. It would probably be the best (and safest solution) , but I found it too expensive. 

One of the replacement kits offered in US is much cheaper though, but I didn't find any shop willing to do the job..    

Replacing one airstrut with a standard is not possible. Would mess up the automatic suspension leveling system completely. All or nothing.

Having said that, I dont have the RX300 anymore. Nice car, but my worries about that air suspension came through. First I had to replace the front left strut. Terrible expensive as you have to switch the complete assembly. Then one of the aft leveling sensors said goodby.  So when I got an offer switching the RX with a 4 years newer Toyota Avensis with half the milage I said thank you.

Morton

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links