Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi,

It's service time - does the 220d need an oil filter removal tool or can you get away without it?

Bought 6 litres of Millers Premium XF longlife C2 5w30, which seems like real good oil.

Has anyone used a bosch or other aftermarket oil filter on this engine? The bosch is good value, but may just get the lexus oil filter if it's a big deal.

For the air filter I'm just going to buy a Mann or Blueprint filter, the lexus one is a rip off at £26 discounted - may as well buy a k&n for that price! The Mann or blueprint at £12 will do it no harm.

Cheers!

Is that protective cover/panel underneath the engine easy to remove and refit?

Presumably that gives us access to the sump drain plug (IS 250 F-Sport) ?

Sorry if this is a bit off-topic.

That info on the filter removal tool was very useful.

Argento

On the 220d theres no panel to remove,the sump drain is easy to see and remove and so is the filter (on mine it is anyway!)

The is250 may be different but the protective panels are easy enough to remove should you need to

Just read the handbook and it seems that the air filter is an inspection at major service. The air filter was replaced at lexus at 1.5 years ago. The air filter replacement is 4yrs/40,000 miles!!! That could explain why the genuine lexus air filter is so expensive, it must be up to the job to last that service interval. I'm in 2 minds to replace now, I'm a big believer in servicing with proper parts but at the same time there is no point replacing something that isn't due.

Inspection/replacement of the air filter is a two minute job and requires no tools. Pop the bonnet and undo the four clips around the filter housing. Lift the top of the housing away and inspect the filter for dirt / damage, replace if necessary. Align the top of the housing and pop the four clips back in place.

The cabin air filter similarly quick, but requires setting the air conditioning to recirculate and using more force than you'd expect. You can find DIY guides with lots of photos with a quick search.

On the 220d theres no panel to remove,the sump drain is easy to see and remove and so is the filter (on mine it is anyway!)

The is250 may be different but the protective panels are easy enough to remove should you need to

Ok, thanks.

I just assumed they all had protective shields nowadays.

I'd better have a look underneath!

Argento

If they are the ones with the 'pip' in the centre - press the centre down with a tool such as an electrical screwdriver. Then you can lift the clip out with a trim clip removal tool if not your fingers (some come out easily, others may be a bit harder) . To get them back, you have to pull the 'claws' apart until you can push the centre post back up - until it sticks out of the top of the clip. When you've reinserted the clip, push the pip down until it's flush with the top of the clip.

There is a screw thing on each side panel - it's a captive plastic screw on the engine side - undo it until the panel is free.

Note re oil drain etc - the drain plug is clear of the shield. There is a small hatch with a few screws to access the filter. You really need a proper Toyota filter removal tool to unscrew it - they are available on eBay for about £17. (It is a substantial alloy cup tool with cut outs to engage with projections on the filter cover) Standard cup tools may not be strong enough - people overtighten Lexus filter covers and they can be a pig to get off. They should be tightened to 18 ft.lbs, then they are easy next time! You can't use destruction methods to remove the filter cover because it's not disposable - the new filter is just the inside paper bit.

• 1 year later...
On 17/01/2015 at 9:04 AM, johnatg said:

If they are the ones with the 'pip' in the centre - press the centre down with a tool such as an electrical screwdriver. Then you can lift the clip out with a trim clip removal tool if not your fingers (some come out easily, others may be a bit harder) . To get them back, you have to pull the 'claws' apart until you can push the centre post back up - until it sticks out of the top of the clip. When you've reinserted the clip, push the pip down until it's flush with the top of the clip.

There is a screw thing on each side panel - it's a captive plastic screw on the engine side - undo it until the panel is free.

Note re oil drain etc - the drain plug is clear of the shield. There is a small hatch with a few screws to access the filter. You really need a proper Toyota filter removal tool to unscrew it - they are available on eBay for about £17. (It is a substantial alloy cup tool with cut outs to engage with projections on the filter cover) Standard cup tools may not be strong enough - people overtighten Lexus filter covers and they can be a pig to get off. They should be tightened to 18 ft.lbs, then they are easy next time! You can't use destruction methods to remove the filter cover because it's not disposable - the new filter is just the inside paper bit.

is actually 64.5mm or 65mm? / 14 Flute? which one? confused me

The filter tool is 64.5mm and has 14 flutes. But don't buy an ordinary cup wrench with that spec - get a proper one suitable for Lexus/Toyota like this:  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-VS7112-Oil-Filter-Cap-Wrench-64-5mm-x-14-Flutes-Lexus-Toyota-/151748426037?hash=item2354e93935:g:vmQAAOSw9N1Vp8DI

You''ll see it's made of alloy rather than pressed steel and has cutouts in the rim which engage with fins on the filter cover.

This type of wrench is more or less essential for getting Lexus oil filter covers off.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, johnatg said:

The filter tool is 64.5mm and has 14 flutes. But don't buy an ordinary cup wrench with that spec - get a proper one suitable for Lexus/Toyota like this:  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-VS7112-Oil-Filter-Cap-Wrench-64-5mm-x-14-Flutes-Lexus-Toyota-/151748426037?hash=item2354e93935:g:vmQAAOSw9N1Vp8DI

You''ll see it's made of alloy rather than pressed steel and has cutouts in the rim which engage with fins on the filter cover.

This type of wrench is more or less essential for getting Lexus oil filter covers off.

Thank you, just bought one

On 2016/4/19 at 2:55 PM, johnatg said:

Hi John, today went to National Tyre Autocentre try to change my oil, and the wrench which you on your link just cracked....

they told me the cap is over tight, so what should I do?

phoned Lexus , they quoted me £63 for  just oil filter change. any helps very appreciated 

DSC_0991.JPG

kenhistu

Did you use a socket or did you directly use a ratchet or breaket bar?

I was about to post this but thought you might be ok... You need a 26inch breaker bar and use a socket. Nothing else works. I have been exactly through what you went. In my case the tool I was using was the wrong one. And I used a 11inch breaker bar without socket. Impacting action broke the.tool. Then I got the correct.tool and used 26inch breaker bar with a scoket. Gentle but firm pressure and it made the filter housing move. 

It is doable with the correct tools. Blame toyota for this terrible design.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links