Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx350 Air Vent/dash Vibrations Noise Cure....but ?

I eventually gave in and stripped out the glove box and under panels to gain access to see if i can locate the ever annoying rattle from the Air vent area, often mentioned on here as the ducting which seems to be worse when cold. I couldn't get a sound from the ducting that i could reach..no matter how i pushed and prodded it....BUT ...

I think i have found the culprit to be a little side cover ( sits to the r/h/s of the air duct as u look to the front of the car) which protects the gearing for the OPEN/CLOSE mechanism for the passenger vent. It was creaking and clicking away every time i touched it..no matter how gently. Also rattling was a mounting for some Brown box ( roughly size of a cigarette packet) sited directly above and slightly right of centre where the glove box latch is sited. Simply a pozi drive screw needing tightened a quarter turn. Cured the gearing cover rattle with a thick smear of silicon( it won't harden as rigid as glue) in a couple of appropriate places around its junction with the actual vent body...you really need to get right under with a torch and get familiar with it before attacking with silicon, take care not to affect the gearing which is slightly exposed. I moved it to the open position which took the moving parts of the gearing/flap out the way.

This leads me to where i ask advice....on the back side ...near the bottom hinge of the glove box there is a grey plastic tube, maybe 5 or 6 inches long, maybe 1/2" or 3/4" thick with a tiny braided cable hanging out the end ....and going nowhere..I think it may have sat in air just at the top of the footwell . Anyone know what this is and where should this cable connect...or is it a sensor of some sort..my guess is a temp sensor for the Auto Aircon but it is a guess. Cable is about 2 or 3" in length max..??

Open to suggestions...??

thanks

Graeme

Think that may be it...cant remember it ever being soft opening but when i had a good look before putting it back...i noticed what looked like a spring mechanism within the tube /chamber, Im guessing if i pull like hell it will be long enough to attach to the screw on the back of the glove box and ...act as a damper.

Many thanks....

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links