Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How Does A Lx470 Compare To A Ls400 ? Anyone Driven Both?

A Lexus LX470 has caught my eye, it's the Lexus version of the Landcruiser, with a 4.7 engine, I'm wondering how it compares with a LX400 Mk4 for quietness, cruising.

The higher driving position would be nice, but before I drive rather a long way to see it, I was wondering if anyone here has experience of one .

I had an LX470 as a hire car for a week, when I was in the States. It is a Landcruiser with an interior designed by Lexus. There are a few chassis mods as well but it is NOT an LS. The higher driving position is pretty good but it is still a pretty meaty (and not particularly sophisticated) vehicle.

Just my opinion, of course.

There are plenty of test drive vids on Youtube.

Cheers Tulpen, just the sort of info I was after. I guess if I like my motorway cruising I should stick with the car designed for it, rather than something that can go up mountains...

But it does look cool

I was looking at one of these on the net, just out of interest, looked nice, and I loved the petrol land cruiser I had as a courtesy car a while back.

I do seem to recall though that the mpg figures were a bit horrific, single figures round town and 15mpg on a run IIRC.

You're right about the MPG. I was in Nevada and, with the air-con working hard, it was really noticeable that it gulped fuel. The ride was OK (nothing like the LS) but it won't like the UK roads in their present state.

One other thing.......it's BIG! Check out the dimensions - you will have a lot of difficulty negotiating the turns and spaces in the average city centre car park.

I was looking at one of these on the net, just out of interest, looked nice, and I loved the petrol land cruiser I had as a courtesy car a while back.

I do seem to recall though that the mpg figures were a bit horrific, single figures round town and 15mpg on a run IIRC.

Ouch, this one has LPG, but I get an average of 21 out of the LS400 on LPG. But i'll take that as a yes vote re. driving experience

You're right about the MPG. I was in Nevada and, with the air-con working hard, it was really noticeable that it gulped fuel. The ride was OK (nothing like the LS) but it won't like the UK roads in their present state.

One other thing.......it's BIG! Check out the dimensions - you will have a lot of difficulty negotiating the turns and spaces in the average city centre car park.

I looked at that, it's actually a tad shorter than a LS400, but 400mm wider. Subjectively its big, apparently!

The LS wasn't too happy in city centre car parks, some of them are ridiculously tight. Not places I have to go very often, thankfully

Ouch, this one has LPG, but I get an average of 21 out of the LS400 on LPG. But i'll take that as a yes vote re. driving experience

I did indeed enjoy driving it, but then I've always liked big wafty barges, so may not be to everybodys taste.

Regarding the size, it seemed to shrink around me, if you know what I mean, and didn't feel as large as it is, but I take Tulpen's point about tight car parks etc, where it would be a bit cumbersome compared to the rear wheel drive LS, with it's excellent steering lock.

I believe it shares a couple of potentially expensive problems with the LS430 too, namely the air suspension and the radiator which contains the transmission cooler, which can lead to water in the autobox.

Does look a lovely thing though doesn't it?

I was wondering if it was the same air suspension, it is an earlier car and I'm hoping it's a bit more rugged than the 430 setup.

Wasn't aware of the trans. cooler in the radiator, good to know.

It's a beast. walked past a newer Landcruiser today, massive.

Please don't think I didn't enjoy my week with the 470.........

It is a good machine and, measured against most cars, shows up very well. You wanted a comparison with the LS and that is a different matter - I don't think it is in the same league.

It was great for cruising on and off-road in Nevada but - in Europe - car parks, country lanes, and the dreaded school run would be no fun at all.

Hi,

Just to add my bit, I have a 1999 Landcruiser Colorado, also badged as Lexus in some markets I believe with the GX spec interior.

It is a great workhorse but obviously a generation or two behind the one you are thinking of. 3.0 litre diesel, auto transmission cooler in the radiator. Thanks to a previous owner I had to have the transmission re-built! Sophisticated..err no. No match for the LS but great driving position. My wife enjoys driving the LC but refuses to drive the Lexus!!! Footprint identical bar a few mm....

Mark.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links