Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Short Story. I Need Another Lexus

Interesting to read this thread.

Trevor/Lost it,

For what it's worth, I'd say first, it's worth looking seriously at both the IS300 saloon and Sportcross (estate). The latter isn't really any "bigger", and the styling not to everyone's taste - though for some it is more practical.

And if we're getting into owner-psychology, then the 300 (a tad more thirsty) and the estate (a tad more "staid"), and both rather rarer than the IS200, are less likely to have been dropped and cropped or tarted-up and thrashed.

Second, don't dismiss the possibility of finding a good one through a dealer/trader. Book value for almost any IS300 is under £5k. A dealer is answerable under the Sale of Goods Act and other legislation in the way that a private seller is not, so has to take care to ensure the motor he sells is straight. Also, there's a better chance that a good Lexus IS300 will have been traded in for a new(er) Lexus or similar. So there are bound to be some one-owner, good-condition IS300s around. Main dealers probably won't now be re-selling cars as old as the first-gen ISs under their used-approved schemes. Some pass their good but older trade-ins to selected traders. But I'd suggest you ask your local Lexus dealer(s) ,and indeed other quality-marque dealers, to help track down a decent used IS300.

Confession: I bought my 2002 IS300 Sportcross three years ago from a Lexus dealer. One owner, always serviced and maintained at that dealer, reasonably low mileage..... but also reasonably low price as it was 10 years old and the dealer - who had taken it in part-ex for a new model - clearly hadn't paid out huge money so was content to sell it on for a modest margin. The car has been flawless....

Good luck and good hunting......

I don't think it about age as to what condition the cars are in its all about attitude. A know loads of older generation (my age!) whose cars are complete wrecks. My boss has 4 different makes of tyre on the car and couldn't tell you what tyre pressures should be if their life depended on it. There are still some very nice Lexus IS 200's out there, as shown by members of this forum. I have no doubt you will find a good one if you keep looking. And please not a Fiesta.........

Well. Another day wasted. Two blind or simply lying owners of the cars later..... I may try a few dealers, but tomorrow is Fiesta search day.

Don't get to downhearted, you are searching for a rare car and they don't pop their heads up on a daily basis. Keep going and you will find it eventually. I don't relish your search for a Fiesta. Mike.

Just a quick FYI. I have one key with a second without the fob and code just incase. I went to my local Tesco key cutting guy and he quoted me £120 for a complete clone of the complete key i have.

Three buttons (Lock, Unlock, Boot) flip key style fob was free. So for £120 you can get a new master key is not at all bad. The only thing i would love to get is a valet key.

My old BMW needed a chip on the immobilizer to be removed, read, updated etc... for the new transponder chip to work but as the Tesco guy said it would be a clone so i would guess it wont need this. unsure of how true this is as i never got a new key cut (I'm cheap) but something to look in too if you ever buy a new IS with a single key.

Well.... She's gone for a Fiesta Auto. 1.4, not as many toys but she sat in it, drove it up the road and made me buy it her. She says it's as described, (it has a full service history, 13months MOT, all as the guy selling it explained. He even took her out in it to make sure she understood all the controls. Reason he's selling is because he has to give up driving, the perfect person to buy a car off. 2009, Three grand....

I'll stick around on here though, I'm still fancying a 3.0 sport wagon for me.

I do not wish to be sounding ageist, but many IS 200's have been bought by younger drivers who "chav" them up and thrash them. My first question to someone selling an IS 200 would be, "How old are you?" Walk away if they are under 35!

This not always true (and i would like to say not to tar everyone with the same brush) I have had my Is200 for 2 years, in that time I changed the tyres to Avon ZV5's all round. Replaced the timing belt/water pump, regually change Oil/filter (castrol) also the gear oil and diff oils (castrol). also required discs/pads all round, two bottom ball joints and one wheel bearing,. It has gone through the last 2 MOTs with no advisories, and am now in the process of having the wheels professionly refurbished (and im only 24).

And in fairness i do like the new fiesta, very well equiped inside and quite good looking from the outside. Easy to drive and great on fuel. (although wouldn't get ride of the lexus)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links