Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Short Story. I Need Another Lexus

About 7 years ago I bought my wife a 2001 Lexus IS200 auto, she used it sparingly, about 2000 miles a year mainly for taking the nipper to school. It averaged about 12mpg I think in winter, it had the usual front bottom ball joint issues, but on the whole it was pretty reliable. One new car Battery, four ball joiunts and an aircon refill. Drank a little oil though?

Then nipper got herself a little Clio 1.5 to learn to drive in and pass her test. Wifey drove it and said something like "That's nice and nippy, I like it" which I took to mean that she wanted one too. (Been married to her for 35 years now, you'd think I'd have a clue by now....)

So I bought her a nice one, same engine, and sold her Lexus for not a lot of money because they don't seem to fetch much.

Now it's clear that she preferred the Lexus (I can understand that slightly, I drive Jaguar myself) so I'm on the look out for another one for her.

I've never been on here, so a quick look to see what's going on I seem to be seeing lots of posts about corrosion too? Was there a year where this was an issue? I also seem to be seeing lots for sale with only one key. How much of an issue is that?

She also had issues in snow with it, I put it down to her because I had no problems whatsoever with it.

She had a Y reg one, I'm looking at 2002 upwards, budget doesn't matter really, it just has to be the right one. Ideally if I could have got her old one back... I paid almost 7k for the first one.

Didn't even know there were three series of them? The original one was an SE in Green.

So... No one key ones unless there's a tag to get another key made. Ta for that. Although a quick search on here has told me why not, I have to ask is it that much of an issue, she had three keys with her last one and only ever used one.

Hi Trevor and welcome to the LOC, we are a
friendly bunch and some of us even know how to pull them to bits and
put them back together again, with of course the one bolt and washer
left over.

We recommend you spend a couple of mins
looking over the rules of the LOC, we will be asking questions later

I cant help with your present queries
but I'm sure someone will be along ASAP.

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/terms-conditions/

Regards Mike.

OK, I've read all the way through there but can't find a tick box? I joined the club this am...

My other vehicles....

Get Ready:

After a lot of Volvo's, Reliant Scimitars etc....

I had a 1996 GS300 that I owned for years. The only thing that ever wore out was the brake pads and tyres. Towed like a dream, but I found the seats to be a bit too wide for me, plus I do occasionally enjoy picking spanners up occasionally.

Sold it to a mate after being pestered for months. Should have kept it..

A Volvo 960 came next. There's a pattern developing, I like big, comfy cars...

Went from there to a Ford Mondeo TDCi. Gear box and clutch went at the same time and frankly the car wasn't worth repairing.

From there to a 2001 Jaguar Xtype 2.5. Then an ex demo Xtype 3.0 with all the toys except memory seats. Really, all the toys. Heated front screen, AWD, satnag, Voice control, auto lights and wipers, auto dipping interior mirror and door mirrors, (you don't realise what a godsend they are until you don't have it) and great lumps of power.

I've recently upgraded this to a 2004 XJ350, XJ6, again with the 3 litre lump. The "Ally cat". Aluminium. Light, smooth, air suspension, mine for £2200. Ridiculous.

I run an Xtype diesel for work, an estate version. Horrible noisy tractor engined thing.

I also have a LWB XJ308 V8 that I'm slowly getting up to snuff.

My wife has had Volvo mainly, 360. 460, 480, then a Saab 900 convertible, then the first Lexus IS200 which I bought after my experience with the GS300. Built like a tank, reliability was what I was looking for. The issues I had to fix on that were sticking calipers (eventually swopped them for rebuilt units) and bottom ball joints although it did use a lot of oil for a Japanese engine I thought. I buy cars that I hope will protect her should she have an accident.

Now she has a Clio 1.5 Dci and I don't think she likes it much.... So I'm looking for another Lexus for her.

Already I've learned that there's three models, that they seem to rot in certain area's although hers never did, and that I mustn't buy one with only one key. If I could get her old one back, I'd do that...

So on balance even an hour or so on here has been useful.

And when I put things back together, I don't have spares. ;-)

Well, had to let wifey know about the search, I was going to try and surprise her. Got two definites to look at, one a Navigator version, one not. But I've always thought the old IS200 would have been more fun with more grunt so I'm looking at IS300's now too.... I asked her if she'd consider an estate version, but she said it would be too big.

So. I'm looking at a 2003 and a 2004 model. Not worried about miles, my old GS300 I put almost 100,000 miles on it during the three years I had it.

I have never been a fan of the is300 as it is auto and i will always prefer manual. there are some nice ones out there if you look in good nick and reasonably low mileage. they were never built to be a performance car, just different, very reliable and easy to own and run. good luck

post-30542-0-53582100-1445065929_thumb.j

Well, saw two today, one had gone already. The first one I managed to push my thumb through the rear of the sill which had been very carefully painted to look solid... My thumbs aren't superhuman, so I walked away.

The 2nd one, the guy selling it had neglected to mention that the sill on the passenger side was stoved in approx 2/3rds the length of the car. "It's ok, about £80 quid will fix that". So I asked him, why didn't you ferkin do it then? Or the big ding in the roof. "Forgot". So that's over 200 miles wasted.

I wasn't happy. I hope the next owner whose car I go to look at is a little more honest.

Andyk134, the car is for my wife. Let's just say Auto is the way she needs to go, I've never known anyone change gear so often on a straight bit of 30mph road.... I'd sooner pay the fuel premium rather than fit new clutches every few months.

Give me strength.....

I found an IS300 sportwagon in London on the 'bay. Looks nice, even has a young lady draped over the steering wheel..

Three times now I've asked for an address to go take a look. Twice I've been told that it's been covered in stickers to promote a business which is why the paintwork is so good and then that there's a randon engine warning light that "should only take half an hour to sort if you use the forums".

So again, why hasn't the randon eml been fixed already, and which part of "what is the address" is suitably gibberishness that the owner can't figure out what I want.

So I've suggested I get GCHQ on the case to send a drone mapping London out to give me a rough location of all the blue IS300 Sporthatch's and work from there.....

Clearly they don't really want to sell it... And I'm not a fan of using dealers, the present owner is far more honest. Usually... Until they forget to mention they clouted a curb with it....

post-54402-0-85544500-1445169010_thumb.j

• Like 1

souds like an auto then, if all else fails, you can get a 200 auto, loads of them about with sensible mileage and history. I know the 300 has more grunt, but the 200 is still a nice drive if you cant find a 300 and she wants the lexus.

good luck

Pretty much given up on finding a "true" car as described. Their idea's of "immaculate" and mine are at opposite ends of any spectrum you care to describe. Immaculate Interior? So what's the remains of sticky tape on the headlining by the sun visors then?

Spotless paintwork? So the dents in the roof are????

Not so bothered about the wheels, they are always in a shocking state on Lexii.

But it seems that people just lie.

And why oh why do people put Chinese cheap tack £20 a corner ditch finders on cars with the power and abilities these cars have? And then try to tell you that it's a good selling point...

People that don't mention EML's until you turn up....

I've found rot in places even I never thought to look. Boot floor right hand side, boot lid by the number plate light, under bonnet chassis rails, side of the sunroof, even one that looked close to losing the gearbox rear mount. I'm guessing that this is because the boxes don't leak oil so much these days?

One more try then I will be buying something else I guess.

I do not wish to be sounding ageist, but many IS 200's have been bought by younger drivers who "chav" them up and thrash them. My first question to someone selling an IS 200 would be, "How old are you?" Walk away if they are under 35!

I'm 59, she is a bit younger, but the ones I've seen have been owned by mid 40's couples. I couldn't get my head around the one with the LED's, the bloke selling it was easily 40.

But good point well presented. I've not given up hope yet. I'm still fancying a Sporthatch thing for me.

The list contains two that I've looked at. One of them has dents in the roof, the other I rejected because of rot underneath. The camera tells lies. They are never that pretty when you get close up it seems.

That's around the budget I was wanting to spend though, up to 5K. They are all traders which means they know nothing about the cars, it's just an asset they want to turn into cash. I prefer buying from the current owner, you can ask the right questions then, and you usually get the full sp.

Not given up yet.

It's looking like wifey may be going the Ford route, she went out in her friend's Fiesta Mk 7 yesterday, then went and had a test drive in a '59 plated automatic one.

I've done a quick search, and as long as it doesn't have the dual clutch gearbox it should be ok. Her decision, it's she who will be piloting it. So this next weekend we are taking the Saturday looking at three more Lexus and three Fiesta's.

Wish me luck...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links