Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I can no longer bring my RX350 to a smooth stop because the brakes grab just at the last moment.

Coincidentally got out of the car after ten minutes on a dual carriageway and smell of very hot metal coming from offside rear wheel. Other wheels normal but that one smelling about as hot as you could imagine. Aimed a thermometer at the disc and caliper and strangely this was same as others. Continued driving and at next stop no smell.

I have heard about brakes on these cars seizing up because of rusted slide pins. The car has been regularly maintained by Lexus. Had just prior to that trip applied the park brake gently a few times which is not normally used at all.

Not sure wether to book it into Lexus which involves a loan car or get local garage to have a look.

Any particular problems to look out for?

Not sure if it's your LS or the RX that you've got as 2004 but if it is the RX, why on earth would you even think of taking a car that old to a main dealers and paying their extortionate prices?

All cars have brakes and any mechanic worth his salt can fettle brakes (if they can't, I seriously don't think they should be using the title of 'mechanic' in their job description). Lots of places now have courtesy cars and if you go to a local garage you're safe in the knowledge that your money will (mostly) be used in the local community.

On 12/01/2017 at 3:06 PM, sorcerer said:

Why on earth would you even think of taking a car that old to a main dealers and paying their extortionate prices?

All cars have brakes and any mechanic worth his salt can fettle brakes (if they can't, I seriously don't think they should be using the title of 'mechanic' in their job description). 

I started having the high pitched squeal from the rear brakes so booked it into a Lexus main dealer to get it sorted. They had the car for 4 days and put new disc/drum assemblies on but the problem wasn't solved. The disc was way too hot to the touch after rolling to a halt ( > 10 miles) so I got a local "back street" firm to see what they thought was going on. They said that in their opinion the slide pins had never, EVER been out and greased - this despite the car only ever having been serviced by Lexus. They solved the  problem  and also I think the brakes were much , much better. Back street is an insult to the likes of who I used and I will use them from now on.

Alan

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links