Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

hey guys,

this morning i tried starting my car! and well, it didnt, it made such a weird noise.

like a sort of screeching noise and then it just didnt start.

i re-tried it over and over, on the display it said check completed,

the Battery light is on on it, maybe its a new Battery i need?

i dont know what to do!

can someone please help?

thanks

Your Battery is almost flat... put it on charge.

Col.

hey guys,

this morning i tried starting my car! and well, it didnt, it made such a weird noise.

like a sort of screeching noise and then it just didnt start.

i re-tried it over and over, on the display it said check completed,

the battery light is on on it, maybe its a new battery i need?

i dont know what to do!

can someone please help?

thanks

well, i got someone to jump start it using booster cables, and drove it. and i also put the water for Battery in it, a whole litre was needed.

and drove it a while for like 2 hours,

how do i put it on charge?

what do i have to do?

well, i got someone to jump start it using booster cables, and drove it. and i also put the water for battery in it, a whole litre was needed.

and drove it a while for like 2 hours,

how do i put it on charge?

what do i have to do?

I think you may have overfilled your Battery! 1 litre (1.75 pints) seems excessive.

i dont really know, the guys at the shop said i should fill it up, i really wouldent know how to charge it,

or does it charge as you drive it?

its pretty confusing.

ahh and maybe im exaggerating it was more like 3 quaters of it maybe less, as i spilt a lot.

but it was empty, there was literally no water in it.

but its running well. i just want to know how to charge it

ahh and maybe im exaggerating it was more like 3 quaters of it maybe less, as i spilt a lot.

but it was empty, there was literally no water in it.

but its running well. i just want to know how to charge it

Get the water level in the Battery checked...any motor accessory shop (Halfords etc.) should be able to check if there is the correct amount in and shouldn't charge you to check it. They will also be able to show you how to charge the Battery. I would not advise you to charge it without getting the water level checked though. You said that the shop told you to "fill it up" so it may well be overfilled which will ruin your Battery.

You need to buy or borrow a Battery charger (for a car battery). Connect the positive lead of the charger to the positive lug on the Battery (normally the red cable). Connect the negative lead of the charger to th enegative lug of the Battery. (normally black lead). Plug in the charger and leave on charge for around 8-12 hours. If you take your car on a long run with most of the accessories off, then the alternator should charge the Battery, but not up to full capacity. You could also take the car to a garage and have it boost charged. Simples????

Col <[;o)

i dont really know, the guys at the shop said i should fill it up, i really wouldent know how to charge it,

its pretty confusing.

You need to buy or borrow a battery charger (for a car battery). Connect the positive lead of the charger to the positive lug on the battery (normally the red cable). Connect the negative lead of the charger to th enegative lug of the battery. (normally black lead). Plug in the charger and leave on charge for around 8-12 hours. If you take your car on a long run with most of the accessories off, then the alternator should charge the battery, but not up to full capacity. You could also take the car to a garage and have it boost charged. Simples????

Col <[;o)

its pretty confusing.

Only thing is that if it is filled with water (as OP implies he has filled it to the top) then what will happen is that the water/acid mix will bubble over and cause untold problems. Best to get it checked first by someone who can tell if it has been overfilled.

It's worth getting it checked out anyway due to 2 questions :

What's gone wrong ?

What's caused it ?

Answer to the first is : I can't start my car because the Battery isn't giving the starter motor enough juice. If it's the type of starter I'm familiar with (took one apart, rebuilt it and it lasted longer than the car did*) then it's a pre-engager : It first moves a cog on to the flywheel and then the motor can turn the engine.

In this case, the cog won't quite be getting to where it needs to be the flywheel with that causing a nasty noise when the starter motor starts to properly spin.

What's caused it ?

This is where you want to get someone with tools to check it out, the Battery could be flat due to :

It broke B) My Puma was ok one day, couldn't start the next. Reason - partial failure of the Battery due to cold weather. It had enough juice for things like the radio but not enough to do anything with the starter.

It's not getting charged. My Rover had 2 (two!) alternator failures in 2.5 years, the first time was a "start one day, fail next" like the Puma's. That was a broken alternator though, without any warning lights appearing ...

I'm suspecting that you've had a stone or other missile come in and attack your Battery, hence it needing lots of water to replace what may have leaked out of a hole. Either way, you need to know what's broken : Alternator or Battery. And for that you'll need someone with tools + knowledge ...

Something else as a symptom - if you've been hearing a screech on acceleration, that's a sign of the alternator belt slipping. That'll break the alternator after a while. Best to fix that before a £10 item breaks a £100 item ... (dunno prices, just saying scale!)

PS * "lasted longer than the car" - this isn't saying much because the car died in a pillar of flame a few months later :D

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links