Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My self levelling and AFS system doesn't seem to work. The garage from which I bought the car think they are OK but as its under warranty I want to be sure and get it fixed if needed.

When I switch on the "self test" seems to work OK and the HID lights move up and down and side to side. After that however nothing. The disable switch under the glove box lid doesn't light the warning light on the dash, when I turn the wheel the lights don't move and when I bounce the rear bumper the lights bounce in time with it and don't drop as I think they should.

There seems to be no problem with the "front end" but communication between the rest and the motors doesn't seem to work. Can you offer any advice as to the likely cause as they will need to get parts in for December when I next go to the garage to have the final tranche of things fixed.

Some if not all Lexus dealers will offer a free or minimum cost "Health Check" on their vehicles, if you have any doubt give them a call and see what they say.

If the car is under warranty from the seller it may be wise to have this done by Lexus just incase there are unknown problems which may manifest themselves post warranty.

hello

are you sure your worrying when you don't have to?

On my RX400h if you turn the ignition on and your parked on a incline the lights will self level.

After that, i think you have to have the eyes of a hawk to see them swivel as it's done so fast

by the computer.

They may be ok after all.

You say that when you turn the wheel, the lights don't move.

Can you confirm that the car is moving when you are doing this?

If the car is stationary, the lights will not move. You would need to check the manual but AFS gets activated above a certain speed (I think it might be 10mph) and are disabled again above a certain speed (might be around 50 or 60mph... can't remember).

Also, I don't think that bouncing the car up and down will alter the light settings on the basis that the movement is too short lived and probably not sufficient. You would need to get two or three people to sit in the back while the car is facing a wall to notice any difference.

On the other hand, I would expect a light to come on if you disable AFS. Having said this, you mention that the switch is below the glovebox lid... which is different from the RX400h, where the switch is next to the electric hatch/boot switch ...

Thank you for this DanD.

The car was stationary when I turned the wheel. I have tried to assess if they move when driving but this is almost impossible to do other than on a rolling road I suspect.

I will try loading the boot and see if that moves the lights. The failure of the warning light to come on does seem to be a fault as it doesn't come on when I am driving either.

On the RX350 the disabling switch is under the offside edge of the glove locker.

" I have tried to assess if they move when driving but this is almost impossible to do other than on a rolling road I suspect."

Don't move the steering wheel on a rolling road! The one real complaint I have with my 400h is that those lower switch positions are not illuminated - on mine anyway

Yes I worked the rolling road thing out this morning! It is hard to find the switch on the 350 without a torch but as its something you only need occasionally (travelling to and from Europe) I guess fitting alight wouldn't be worth the cost but a local LED would certainly be a good idea.

If you can find a dark country lane with a few bends, you will see that the movement of the lights is quite obvious. As to whether there is a real benefit to AFS or whether it's a bit of a gimmick, I'll leave that for you to decide.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links