Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Anyone Have A Fail Air Shock/strut Lying Around?

It can't push in, I just snapped some pics for you of the spare struts I have...

Hopefully it might help you figure out what needs to be done to get the darn thing off.

The pics are for the front near side strut.

post-52743-0-13592000-1444253261_thumb.j

post-52743-0-33833200-1444253276_thumb.j

post-52743-0-19062600-1444253288_thumb.j

• Like 1

hi many thanks

will be on it tomorrow see what I can do it does seem to be just like a brake pipe connection unbolt and out unfortunately well in and cant pull enough on pipe it absorbs all pressure by just starting to stretch may warm up not hot don't want to melt seals or use a freeze shock spray just need to start to get to move

hi

I got my air pipe out however I did split airline so will need another line

a bit hard to explain but is just similar to a brake pipe the end of air line that goes into top of strut once nut is removed and slid up the pipe it actually only pushes into strut the little collar at bottom has 2 o rings on it , problem I had is there is a long metal sleeve about 30mm long that pushes into strut it is the inner metal collar you will see when looking at top however it is an extremely good fit and tight and mine was rusted in now I have done one next time I would use lost wd40 and the pipe doesn't push to the stop so there is a bout 10 mm I found it best to tap collar further into strut keeping the wd40 spraying this taping into strut even just a couple of mm ment it was freed and not jammed on rust I sprayed some more and tapped in a bit further it cant go all in to strut there is a stop just like a brake pipe with the sprayed fluid and the movement that broke the sealed rust and allowed it to pull out ok

it is just a simple push in and bolt but sticks on collar that's all free collar and will pull out

I now got to replace air line but know how goes for next time

• Like 1

Thank you for the update! :)

If it helps, I can post you almost a foot of original air hose with the end that goes into the strut, all you'd need to do is buy a 5mm to 5mm push fit joiner?

So, I've been playing with front air struts today and they are slightly different to the rears.

Interesting points to note is that they seem to corrode less than the rears, the air bag material is thinner and the air line is a totally different design, so none of the rear fittings will work!

I was going to remove the central top bolt, but you have to hold the air chamber rock steady otherwise the bag turns around the strut which is a big no no!

Also, you can't roll the bag up the strut leg, like on the rears to clean, de-rust and lubricate it!

I'll need to fabricate a rig to hold the top chamber so I can under the bolt that goes through the bearing to see if this can indeed be changed.

Notice how the air hose is bonded to a nozzle/injector... Totally different to the rear!

Kudos for Timeboy for warning us, as this damaged would mean a trip to the dealer for a new run of air line - I hope they don't sting Timeboy for too much... :/

I haven't taken it off the car yet, as I'll to need to finish refurbing my replacements and I just know I'll need new stabiliser/drop link bars as no doubt I'll bugger it up getting it off!! 😜

Here's some pics...

post-52743-0-06967700-1444410583_thumb.j

post-52743-0-62087100-1444410600_thumb.j

post-52743-0-85038300-1444410625_thumb.j

post-52743-0-49423100-1444410655_thumb.j

post-52743-0-54440700-1444410676_thumb.j

post-52743-0-56608400-1444410808_thumb.j

post-52743-0-82475500-1444410821_thumb.j

• Like 1

PS, the damp in the pictures is WD40 on the bolts and silicone spray on the air hose & nut.

When undoing the cap that stops water from the windshield cowl sitting on the top mount of the strut, be warned! The retaining nuts for the cover are wafer thin and don't sit well in your sockets, take your time and be gentle as it would be a massive undertaking to remove a stripped/damaged nut due to limited access!!

Rich,

If it helps, the Toyota/Lexus part numbers for the tubes are:

Offside/drivers: 48983-48020

Nearside/passenger: 48984-48010

Unfortunately, each side looks like £100!!!

Alternatively, measure how long your existing one is and the brass tube diameter and length, and look up air suspension companies in your area. The measurements above and a couple of photos and I'm sure they'll have an alternative or could knock you up something for a quarter of the price!

Chris.

Just had a thought, I wonder if replacing the Lexus connector on the strut with a universal £2.19 "push to connect" fitting could work?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BSP-Female-Thread-Metric-Push-Fit-Pneumatic-Water-etc-/121183198969?var=&hash=item1c3714def9

That way you can chop off the standard fitting at the brass tube and just push he existing hose in to the new fitting...

post-52743-0-31119800-1444548013_thumb.j

post-52743-0-75066900-1444548105_thumb.j

• Like 1

Hi Chris

got a few options the push fit connectors once I have exact outer thread measured would work , only possible problem and cant see it being much of an issue would be instead of directing air direct into strut you would be filling the entire strut tube don't know if this will have an effect on height control switch or wether or not compressor keepd going until it gets to a desired pressure back at compressor

but will let you know if I use this option

• Like 1

Hi Rich, for £2.19 odd it's worth a try!

When messing with mine, if I inflate the bag with my air compressor and then put my thumb over the hole, the air stays in and doesn't leak out... Obviously my thumb is way too big to get into the hole, so I don't think the air is partially in the bag & strut tube (or if it is it doesn't make any difference).

The only thing I don't know about is if the push to connect plastic fittings are OK at the 100psi max of the bag, if not then a metal type or fitted (non-push to connect) fitting with the air equivalent to an 'olive' and PTFE tape may be required...

• 2 months later...

hi

not sure if anyone knows thought i may get some air come out pipe with strut removed .. but nothing the dash height lights act as if working goes thru from low -n - hi all ok on switch and if you push height select on and off all good question is does it do this if compressor is no good i thought would not operate on dash going to try the 3 start ups just to see if locked just not going to replace strut if compressor is needed will convert to coils

also is compressor behind rear wheel under rear bumper

Hi Rich,

Yep, I think the compressor is near the left/nearside rear wheel bumper area.

I never tried activating system with a strut off, was worried it may knock the car off the axle stands.

It would help if you had Techstream on a laptop as would show you codes for the compressor & allow you to manually trigger & test and also clear any stored codes without having to do the 3 cycle thing.

Before giving up on the compressor, when you have everything hooked & bolted back up, disconnect Battery for 30 mins and then try again.

If the compressor and everything is good, you have to set the car to Lo, wait for compressor to stop, then N, wait for compressor to stop, then Hi...

Hi all,

I've been investigating alternatives to purchasing air shocks/struts/bags individually from Lexus at between £700-800 each!

Now I've found many suppliers of components but no-one that makes an aftermarket unit or it's constituent components specifically for the RX.

Ideally, I'd like to get a failed sacrificial unit to strip down, measure the air bag and shock damper to see if I can contact good suppliers directly (Dunlop, Bridgestone, KYB etc.) and hopefully make a DIY refurb guide.

Unfortunately I'm not made of money but would be willing to buy a failed rear unit if anyone has one in their garage?

From what I can ascertain, the front units are different air bag "types" to the so there would have to be 2 guides.

On a positive note, many people state the system is scary and complicated - before my research started I would have been inclined to agree but the more I learn, the more I see how simple the setups are!

The big problems are lack of decent RX information and suppliers.

Full aftermarket air strut kits (ie: 2 x Front, 2 x Rear units) for the RX are available at £1200 BUT before leaping into the unknown, I'd like to see if a refurb of the Lexus/Toyota parts are possible to keep things as stock as is possible.

If anyone can provide further info, ie: front and rear air bag dimensions, types and if at all possible the original manufacturer (as Toyota/Lexus don't make air bags!) then that would be really useful.

Thanks all,

Chris

Chris I got rebuilt air shocks for my XJ Jag from a site where A guy with a Audi Allroad, took the same approach as you, was successful, so made them available for other makes, but not Lexus Im afraid. Goggle Bagpipeing Andy. William

Hi, thank you for the info Bilmac!

I have actually seen some videos for compressor repairs Mr Bagpipes has on YouTube so am aware of him and his Audi.

The little project I have to retrofit a common type of airbag/spring to used lexus air struts is on hold until we are out of winter, then I intend to do a proper write-up for the site.

I consider myself lucky I managed to get a full set of air struts in pretty good condition from an RX owner who's compressor went and he changed his car to coils.

The ones I pulled off my RX were pretty shocking (pardon the pun!) but will make great Guinea pigs for my Franken-strut approach. :)

I will also look at writing up changing out the top-mount bearings on air struts as the parts are less than £50 but Lexus won't let you do that and want almost £1200 for a whole strut with mount!

Tanks again!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi

bben offered a complete air strut for my 2003 rx his came of rx350 2006

does anybody know if they fit ok look slightly different on pic but seem basically the same

also anybody breaking a rx need front air tube to strut or at least connector to strut and a foot or so tube

many thanks

Richard

• Like 1

Hi, I reckon you'll be fine with the rx350 strut, would love to see side by side photo's when you have em next to each other - they may be a better design!

If you can get a foot or two of the air hose (must be from top of strut back) from a breakers, you should be able to use some push-fit joiners to connect to your existing chopped hose - have a look for air suspension suppliers on google and give them a call, they can advise you what you need to join them together.

Mines be fantastic since I did all the work back in Oct, and the pump only runs for a few seconds at start and less than 30 secs to raise from easy access to High height.

Can't wait for the better weather so I can start my "total refurb of old struts using off the shelf parts" project!

hi

they are slightly different in design sort of the same just look slightly more modern if makes sense

only worry is top mount fitting as early 2002 rx had top mount studs 4 inch apart from stud centres the 2003 to 2006 model went 4half inch apart just wonder if after 2006 and different again im sure all else be fine

will try to get push fits all ones on eBay are 4mm 5mm or 6mm and think mine 5.5mm also not entirely sure on thread size incase I have to make an adapter for stut centre suppose its order a few and see luckily oly couple quid each new front left air hose with adapters each end £242 from lexus

will see if I can find some

just got to sort compressor when operating it only runs 1 sec stops and off light blinks I think wire or height sensor has issue

at least I think compressor is good as runs before shutting off

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 10/2/2015 at 10:56 PM, ChrisKaye said:

Right so an update for those interested!

Everything bolt wise and chassis wise on the Lexus RX is made from cheese (and not the good kind).

My conclusions from refurbing a not so bad second hand air strut is that the struts don't fail easily and the design (if expensive) is actually very sound.

The element that lets it down, is not the actual air bellow/Spring/bag but the metal or lack of treatment that causes the strut to disintegrate over time.

First, let me scare you a little if you have a 10+ yr old RX SE-L (see pics) this can only be attributable to a part designed deliberately to fail once it hits a certain age. Decent treatment or paint could have avoided this! My original strut (offside rear)...

post-52743-0-66717300-1443822933_thumb.j

post-52743-0-58758700-1443822947_thumb.j

post-52743-0-30311200-1443822977_thumb.j

post-52743-0-79708900-1443823004_thumb.j

Hi there,  sorry to bring up an old post, but I had a question I hope someone can help with. 

I have a 2003 RX300 se-l and the rear driver side air suspension strut has failed.  I've a replacement strut in decent condition and will be getting this fitted over the coming weekend. The bit I cant work out how to do is how I remove the old air line from the strut. I don't want to yank it out in case I brake anything.  

Any guidance would be gratefully appreciated 

Thanks 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links