Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Self Levelling Headlight Warning Light

Just collected my 2007 Limited Edition RX350 SE, very pleased but got 2 issues which the dealer is slow to fix !!

Fuel filler flap, there must be a spring or tensile steel that flips open the flap, mine is missing currently using compressed sponge to flip the flap!

The self levelling headlight warning light comes on with the ignition, it then goes out as the engine is started but then illuminates and stays on. The dealer does not have the correct diagnostic tools and the nearest Lexus dealer is 40 miles away(can a Toyota dealer fix?)

Has anybody had this problem? Is there a quick fix? Is it a fuse,relay or something more complex

Regards Comanpost-53775-0-15561300-1437513862_thumb.j

The light system issue is probably more complex than just a fuse. Probably the sensor on the rear suspension which is prone to seizing and then the arm snapping.

Toyota dealers can diagnose to a certain level. In theory they shouldn't have access to Lexus vehicle in their diagnostic tools which has to be unlocked with a password given to Lexus dealers.

Was it an issue on the test drive?

I'd certainly be looking to the dealer to resolve - unless it was cited as a known issue...

• Like 1

Thanks for replies, the fault was not noticed prior to purchase but I was assured that everything worked and that I would get a 6/12 warranty. Any problems would be resolved ( before the cheque was banked!)

Now I'm getting the no reply to emails, went from a valued customer to an irritation in about 5 miles

I am sure that the dealer is just busy and will get back to me with a no cost resolution any moment soon ( I have already wasted an hour and 15 miles of my fuel taking it to their mechanic for diagnostics when a simple phone call would have told him that his mechanic doesn't have the diagnostics for a Lexus)

Watch this space!!

Coman

The Techstream software Toyota/Lexus use doesn't need to be unlocked to test the AFS (headlight system).

One simple test you can do yourself is park nose 6-10ft away from a wall (preferably as it gets dark!)

Turn off car completely & remove keys.

Turn stalk so headlights are on (not just sidelights or Full beam).

Whilst you Insert keys and turn to the position just before starter motor kicks in and the dashboard lights up - watch headlight pattern on wall. Both beams will do a little dance, outwards, inwards, up and then level...

If this works it shows that the light computer and both headlamps themselves are working (the most expensive bits!).

The likely cause would then points towards the height level sensor on the rear wheel struts (one each side) or the steering angle sensor (really unlikely as you're VSC light would also be on!)

Hope this helps!

• Like 2

I certainly do not intend to pay. The dealer has now been in touch and they are picking the car up next week to sort it out. Fingers crossed it will all be sorted to my satisfaction

Coman

The Techstream software Toyota/Lexus use doesn't need to be unlocked to test the AFS (headlight system).

One simple test you can do yourself is park nose 6-10ft away from a wall (preferably as it gets dark!)

Whilst you Insert keys and turn to the position just before starter motor kicks in and the dashboard lights up - watch headlight pattern on wall. Both beams will do a little dance, outwards, inwards, up and then level...

If this works it shows that the light computer and both headlamps themselves are working (the most expensive bits!).

The likely cause would then points towards the height level sensor on the rear wheel struts (one each side) or the steering angle sensor (really unlikely as you're VSC light would also be on!)

Hope this helps!

Tried that 'dance' last night with my lights.

Amazing to watch.

• Like 1

Hope this helps!

What's a starter motor ? ... lol ... ;-)

• Like 1

Hope this helps!

What's a starter motor ? ... lol ... ;-)

It's the little one bolted to your proper engine as opposed to the dodgem car motors hanging heavily on the rear wheels powered by that hugely environmentally damaging Battery pack weighing down your car and connected by the ridiculously expensive chunk of electronics weighing down the front.

only joking.. ;-)

• Like 2

Gone a bit off topic ?

Dealer has collected the RX and I am awaiting a satisfactory resolution to the problem

Thanks for all the suggestions

Regards Coman

• Like 1

Lol! Dodgem!

It all makes sense now when you think of how the aerial looks on the roof of the RX!

Disguise it with one of these...

http://www.disneystore.com/car-accessories-home-decor-mickey-mouse-antenna-topper-set-all-holidays/mp/1345375/1000364/

A firm favourite with Skoda owners ... I've always thought Skoda's look more like a Womble than Mickey Mouse though ... lol

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links