Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Upgrading To Is300h But Have A Question Regarding The Sat Nav Screen

After owning 3 Lexus models now over the past 10 years starting way back with the is200 1st gen and the is220d 2nd gen I've had a ct premier since 2012 and whilst I still like the car its time for change and I miss the bigger cars I've previously had.

So not being totally new to the cars or the hybrids I am pretty chuffed after finding what seems to be a needle in a haystack around my area.

That is a is300h fsport with premier spec nave full leather and all the toys.

All I could seem to find was the standard fsports with the tahara trim and premium nav which whilst I must admit we're every bit as nice for whatever reason I didn't pull the trigger (I think it was mainly due to not having the auto fold or dipping mirrors as these are to me a great feature)

Anyway I've finally pulled the trigger and pit a deposit down on the one I've found although since pitting down the deposit a d going back to sort finances out I noticed the screen of the Sat nav has marks on the screen which don't seem to want to come off.

They have said they will try their best with it but it's worrying me after reading a few threads on here about the screens having a coating on and the only way to sort it is to replace the screen.

Obviously I don't want to be doing that after spending a he'll of a lot on the car.

Somebody put my mind at rest!!!

If it is indeed as bad as some suggestions on here and requires a new screen to rectify would this not fall under the manufacturers warrenty as surely a 18month old screen should have an issue being cleaned?

I could understand if the cars were 7,8,9 or 10 years old but 18 months doesn't seem right to me

Apart from that I'm a happy camper and cannot wait to get the car

I recall there was a thread where someone had cleaned the screen and whatever they had used took some of the anti reflective coating off. That wouldn't be covered under any warranty, and I think they were going to try and take the rest of it off so at least the screen was uniform.

I have marks on mine ( exactly the same spec by the way ) but they seem to clean off quite nicely. I use a little Mr muscle glass cleaner on a bit of tissue and it hasn't stained. Hope the dealer can sort it out for you.

Thanks pbarrett hopefully just a similar thing and me reading too much into it.

As I mentioned in my initial post this will be my 4th Lexus and each one had nav and never so much as had a problem with any of the screens so I was surprised by the other couple of posts.

On a sidenote even owning a version of both previous is models the new gen just looks and feels the best yet!

After having the ct for 3 years getting back into a big "lump" just felt right at home

Even though I currently have the premier ct as soon as I jumped in the 300h f sport I had to have it!

Couple that with the fact that the new car is nearly 3 years younger than the ct (a 2011 model) and obviously the class up my monthly finance payment on purchasing is actually lower!!!!!

Considering the ct and now the is are similar age at purchasing albeit the is has slightly more miles on at 25k the is I've done the deal on is actually cheaper than I paid for the ct!

It's definitely a no brainer to me even the insurance is only a few quid more a month which suprised me!

As you can probably tell I'm a happy bunny at the moment!

I've only ever driven a CT as a loaner and couldn't wait to get back to the IS. They really are chalk and cheese. Look forward to the pics!

Sent from my iPad using Lexus OC

Definitely!!

As soon as I pick her up I'll post up

Got 10 days or so to wait as the plate transfers are being done before I get it

Initially I liked the sonic titanium but fell in love with the metallicy sparkle of the white!

Only ever seen a cars that are flat white and was very surprised by how nice it actually looks especially with the darker f sport wheels

You won't be disappointed reeves1985. I went in looking for an IS250C @ 4 years old and was smitten with the F Sport ! A friend has a white one and that looks great too. A bit lumper than my RX but what do I expect? A fantastic car to drive and you'll love driving it especially in sport mode ! I make any excuse up to go for a drive these days. Just a shame that do not do an IS C any longer though. If they combined a C with an F Sport then..................mmmmmm

• Like 1

My ICE screen has some smudge marks on it but only noticeable when the screen is off. Once powered up they cannot be seen.

Ed :flowers:

Cheers Ed

These are similar although they can be seen even with the screen on if the light is coming from the right angle.

Hopefully the garage will sort it but if not I'm sure I can make it look something like.

I initially rubbed a damp finger on it to see if it was just smudges and it made more of them so I am quite confident that there will be a way to make it at least respectable

I managed to remove some of the coating from the screen of my IS300h Premier using nothing more than a dry microfibre cloth. I was devastated and pretty upset I can tell you. The car wasn't even 9 months old. Lexus Edinburgh had a look and took some photographs as Lexus wanted proof there had been no impact to the screen. A few weeks later and after sitting in the dealership for a couple of hours I left with a brand new screen replaced under warranty.

That's interesting to know as I fully understand its a subjective argument

My personal opinion is that if the coating is coming off so easy then there has to be a problem in the manufacturing of that particular piece!

I do know the service manager from the Sheffield dealership quite well from over the past 10 years or so and he even sorted my 220 to have the 5th injector done free of charge even though my specific vin wasn't in need of the recall.

Total for that particular job was circa £4k apparently!

I wil see how I get on with it and may pop in to the dealer if I can't get it to an acceptable standard.

I totaly agree with you. That was my argument from the outset. It has to be a manufacturing flaw for the coating to come off so easily. I'd go in and ask them to get it replaced under warranty. Might take a wee while as the part has to be shipped from Japan. Refer them to my experience if they get tricky!

I totaly agree with you. That was my argument from the outset. It has to be a manufacturing flaw for the coating to come off so easily. I'd go in and ask them to get it replaced under warranty. Might take a wee while as the part has to be shipped from Japan. Refer them to my experience if they get tricky!

Yes I will definitely see what there response is

I don't pick the car up for another few days or so but once I've got the car I'll get straight onto them.

Just a little update on the current situation.

I had a courtesy call from my contact at the Sheffield dealership earlier in regards to servicing my current ct as he didn't know I had purchased the is from an independent dealer.

Very interesting conversation and a few points I'd like to make.

1. I was told that now to keep any manufacturers warrenty the hybrid cars now must have an annual hybrid health check (free if serviced at dealership £60 as a standalone check)

I asked as I have a friend who works at Toyota and always have my cars serviced there then they should be able to do the check as the car is effectively a Toyota.

I was told NO! The check needs doing by Lexus.

2. Enquiring about the extended warranty as the 2 for 1 offer its £795 for 2 years but must be serviced at Lexus as a stipulation.

By this time I had stopped listening as he told me the pricing for said services the only one I caught was the 6 year 60k service £700!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For a service.

Anyway I mentioned regarding the Sat nav screen and it being cloudy and smudged. Because I haven't took ownership of it yet he advised that the dealer to take it into Lexus to look at.

But I suspect it will inevitably be left for me to sort.

I got the impression from the conversation that it isn't something new as he didn't sound suprised and the first thing he said was bring it in for us to look at and go from there.

Because Ive dealt with him for 10 years we have a good relationship and I pushed him a little further about it and was told there's been a fair few complaints about the same issue.

My thoughts from the conversation were that they've had plenty of complaints about it and the fact you can make it worse just by touching it!!

I must admit I'm getting rather excited now to get the car and think I've got a good deal on it with all the toys including memory seats and full leather etc

And it came in £4.5k less than a model in the dealership without full leather or memory seats.

It's a slightly older model on a 63 plate and has 25k miles on it which is 11k more than the 14 plate in the showroom but I still think it's a cracking deal

I've actually paid less for this is300 than I did for the CT 3 years ago

I've paid £21,500 for it in white with premium spec

I'd be interested to see people's views as to if it's as good a deal as I think it is.

Just a little update on the current situation.

I had a courtesy call from my contact at the Sheffield dealership earlier in regards to servicing my current ct as he didn't know I had purchased the is from an independent dealer.

Very interesting conversation and a few points I'd like to make.

1. I was told that now to keep any manufacturers warrenty the hybrid cars now must have an annual hybrid health check (free if serviced at dealership £60 as a standalone check)

I asked as I have a friend who works at Toyota and always have my cars serviced there then they should be able to do the check as the car is effectively a Toyota.

I was told NO! The check needs doing by Lexus.

2. Enquiring about the extended warranty as the 2 for 1 offer its £795 for 2 years but must be serviced at Lexus as a stipulation.

By this time I had stopped listening as he told me the pricing for said services the only one I caught was the 6 year 60k service £700!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For a service.

Anyway I mentioned regarding the Sat nav screen and it being cloudy and smudged. Because I haven't took ownership of it yet he advised that the dealer to take it into Lexus to look at.

But I suspect it will inevitably be left for me to sort.

I got the impression from the conversation that it isn't something new as he didn't sound suprised and the first thing he said was bring it in for us to look at and go from there.

Because Ive dealt with him for 10 years we have a good relationship and I pushed him a little further about it and was told there's been a fair few complaints about the same issue.

My thoughts from the conversation were that they've had plenty of complaints about it and the fact you can make it worse just by touching it!!

I must admit I'm getting rather excited now to get the car and think I've got a good deal on it with all the toys including memory seats and full leather etc

And it came in £4.5k less than a model in the dealership without full leather or memory seats.

It's a slightly older model on a 63 plate and has 25k miles on it which is 11k more than the 14 plate in the showroom but I still think it's a cracking deal

I've actually paid less for this is300 than I did for the CT 3 years ago

I've paid £21,500 for it in white with premium spec

I'd be interested to see people's views as to if it's as good a deal as I think it is.

Yes that is a good deal! I'm looking at a white with red IS300H f sport and the cheapest one is £24.5k with 10k on the clock. I've had a word with them and they're refusing to budge under asking price too so I thought stuff it, ill wait until something else comes up or until they give me a ring (which they always seem to do if the car sticks around for more than 2 weeks)

Lucky bugger haha

The Lexus dealer can't charge you anymore than £645 mate. Which dealer is it?

If you were asking about the dealer I've purchased the car from it was an independent dealer not Lexus dealer

Which may explain the cheaper price

Lexus dealer wouldn't budge on £25.5k they would only knock 500 off to take it to that price

A little too much for my liking

The reason I ended up even looking elsewhere wasn't the price initially it was the fact that Lexus finance originally told me if I changed my car for any car didn't even need to be Lexus/Toyota I could get a promotional rate of 3.5% flat

After enquiring a secend time after finding a car I liked was told they won't do it with a Toyota or Lexus main dealer as they won't take their sales

They were basically taking their sales as I could have gone to bmw or merc and got the rate from them!!!

Didn't make sense to me or the finance manager at the dealers

He did however take it higher up and was very pleased when he rang me back a couple of days later to tell me he had been authorized that he could match the rate

Only to be a little downbeat when I told him I'd already committed to buying somewhere else

So effectively Lexus finance had lost the main dealer a sale because of the whole shirarrd

I found it a standard practise for Lexus dealers to offer a discount of only £500, on a car obviously thousands of pounds over priced. I did a negotiation on the web pages for a car offering £3k under the price of one of the models, knowing it was a cancelled order (they let that slip). They turned me down, but came back 2 weeks later saying they'd accept the offer. But I'd moved on by then and said I was not interested. But I think the online negotiation method is good, if the dealership is not inflexible, as I think they tend to follow a single training class mantra.

I ended up buy new with a 9% discount, and was fortunate to find that the best dealership I'd dealt with, was actually my nearest.

I wish you all the best with your new car, enjoy.

My Lexus is serviced by Lexus at a Lexus dealership. Last time I watched the dash cam footage back & they drove it next door to the Toyota dealership to be worked on!! I expect they always do!!

My Lexus is serviced by Lexus at a Lexus dealership. Last time I watched the dash cam footage back & they drove it next door to the Toyota dealership to be worked on!! I expect they always do!!

If that had of been my car I would have flatly refused to pay the Lexus service price and only offered the Toyota price which is a considerable amount less!

But then again I do love a barter for any old thing.

One good thing about using the same dealer over the last 10 years is

They know I'm serious wheather buying or selling

When I bought my ct I was in there an hour over £4 a month and when eventually the previous finance manager came over I said I told you what I could pay its £4 a month too much over 5 years which is £240

Guess what 2 minutes later he gave me another £5 a month off

I think that was one of the reasons he actually took the whole finance situation higher and in the end was able to match the Lexus finance offer but was sick as a chip when I said your 2 hours to late!

The thing what probably sickened him the most was I only got them down a grand overall

With the ct I ended up getting 3 grand off just about

It just shows

Don't believe them when they say there's nothing in the car for them or only a few quid profit!!

• Like 1

Yeah youre right. They have thousands in their used car and only give £500 off them. Standard practice for all UK Lexus dealers I think as ive enquires with quite a few and they won't go under £500 unless you really hammer them but it takes a good 2 weeks of negotiations.

Their px prices are also ridiculous. Theyve consistently offered me less money for my wife's car than BMW, Audi or Mercedes

Funny you should say that

I was offered £9,750 for my 4 year old ct premier with 57k on the clock

No problems and 1 Kerberos alloy.

I nearly fell off the chair! I paid £22,700 3 years ago

Independent offered me £10,200 still way too low but in the end I bashed out a deal on the new car so was happy overall .

I could have got £12,500 for it privately at a push but didn't want the hassle and having it up for sale a while. Plus the car I looked at was the only one I'd found with the spec I wanted within budget.

But I can't complain as in the overall context of things my actual finance payment is cheaper than the ct if you add the extra bit of insurance and the £10 road tax I'm getting a 2.5 years newer car bigger better beast f sport for the grand total of £12 extra a month!

It really was a no brained in the end

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links