Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx300 Touch Screen Not Working

I've had my 04 RX 300 for 11 years, mainly it's been ok and I run on LPG (which has nothing to do with current problem).... Early during ownership I discovered that the on-board navigation system IS NOT SAT NAV but run from a very expensive CD disc costing circa £200 for updated replacement, so instead I bought a GPS unit from Halfords.

A place had to be found to a fix the mounting sucker to, as the Touch Screen is flat and glass-like this seemed a good place - until now! How would I have known that the 'Screen' is/was an electronic membrane?

Repeated use of the GPS Sucker has now caused the screen membrane to distort causing a convex bump that appears to have hairline radial cracks. Now, pressing any of the buttons on the screen does not work so the clock cannot be altered, the air-con direction doesn't work none of the buttons on any screen work.

How difficult is it to remove the 'screen' to fit a replacement? And where can a reasonable priced unit be obtained from? Any help or info here would be a great assistance.

Needles to say this is a 'Heads-up' on a failure that can be caused through using the screen as a GPS MOUNTING SURFACE and would be applicable to any Touch-Screen in other vehicles.

Jim

Found several 'screens' for RX300 up to 2003, could this be the one I need? Can anyone help with the part number for this Touch Screen?

I also need a manual that shows how to disassemble the panel to gain access.

Manual's referred to here don't download, many others have also had the same download problem.

Thanks chaps,

Jim

Phoned Dingles Toyota Norwich (Lexus Dept) today to find part number and cost of replacement Touch Screen...

Are you sitting comfortably?.... The part number is: 86110-48130. - the cost is...£1961.48 incl VAT for exchange screen. I didn't care to ask their fitting charge but at over £70 per hour could be looking upwards of £500.

Jim

Hi Chris, Thanks for your recommendation but the part number of this screen appears to differ from that given by the Lexus Agent which is: 86110-48130 which fits RX300 2003 - 2009.

However I've found a British company BBA-REMAN in Rochester, Kent who tell me that they have repaired many of these with the above part number, their web address is www.bba.reman.com, having spoken with one of their technicians he told me that the cost of the repair would be £175.00 + Carriage and Vat, and that repair would be completed in 3 - 5 days and collection / delivery can be arranged. So now I have to arrange with my garage to remove the thing then later refit it as I have no idea where the fixings are or how to get at them.

Jim

Hi Chris, Thanks for your recommendation but the part number of this screen appears to differ from that given by the Lexus Agent which is: 86110-48130 which fits RX300 2003 - 2009.

However I've found a British company BBA-REMAN in Rochester, Kent who tell me that they have repaired many of these with the above part number, their web address is www.bba.reman.com, having spoken with one of their technicians he told me that the cost of the repair would be £175.00 + Carriage and Vat, and that repair would be completed in 3 - 5 days and collection / delivery can be arranged. So now I have to arrange with my garage to remove the thing then later refit it as I have no idea where the fixings are or how to get at them.

Ken

Reviews of them don't look great on the inter-web.

PCM ~ Thanks for the tip-off, I've been reading their reviews and they are shocking at best!

Not quite sure where to go now, don't know if the Lithuanian one for sale would fit - or even if it would work as its part number is different.

Any useful contributions great fully received chaps, thank you.

Jim

Chris, Thanks, I really value your input, I see that the unit is from a 400h - which is partially electric propulsion so the data on the screen has to be different - to match the different part number? Stupidly perhaps I've put a bid on it!

Jim/Ken. (Doesn't matter which)

Chris, Thanks, I really value your input, I see that the unit is from a 400h - which is partially electric propulsion so the data on the screen has to be different - to match the different part number? Stupidly perhaps I've put a bid on it!

Jim/Ken. (Doesn't matter which)

Bids can be retracted.

Jim,

Any PC/laptop repair guy local to you should be able to swap the good screen on the new unit to replace the broken touchscreen on your current unit, you should then be able to sell the left over bits from the new unit on eBay... But before worrying about any of the above, if the new unit's connectors all fit your existing plugs, just try a straight swap! If it works, happy days!

From what I've read, the screen is higher quality compared to our standard fits on the RX300's, I doubt you'd notice any difference though once it is plugged in without upgrading the rest of the Sat Nav brain (in the boot).

Chris, thanks once again, I've used PC repair shops before but don't think they delve into car Nav systems etc. the part I broke (through using the GPS sucker) is the plastics touch sensitive membrane on the screen, I wouldn't thing this comes off easily - but I don't actually know, tinkering here is a bit foreign to me, in my younger days I was much happier with a spanner.

It would be good if the membrane is removable then I could swap it over, have you been here before with this or similar problems?

Jim

Hi Jim,

I read quite a few detailed posts a while back on the U.S. sites about stripping down the screen, typically I can't find them to share with you.

The screen itself is purely a display, it has no "brain" to tell it what to show, from my understanding, that all comes from the DVD unit in the boot which also houses the Sat Nav computer.

Have you had a chance to look at the post on this site regarding the "menu button not working"?

I posted a link to a YouTube clip showing how to remove the screen from the console,you'd need basic tools that most homeowners have tucked away and 15-20mins of time and of course a little patience!

The touch screen itself (or digitiser) is not actually part of the display screen, but an overlay.

Sometimes they can be replaced but I suspect the Lexus one is glued to the display screen - this makes them very hard to DIY repair.

The better option is to replace the display screen and digitiser as one part, it has several small screws holding it to the rest of the unit (clock, air vents, the button strip etc) and a few cables w/ connectors that unplug.

If you think of it like a laptop, the brain is under the keyboard and the screen is purely mounted in a hinged bezel, hence why I suggested a laptop repair guy could easily tackle this for you if you aren't confident (the job itself is actually easier than swapping a laptop, iPad or Iphone screen!)

Chris, -~ I can see where you're at, it's just getting my head around the problem, a hobby of mine is building and flying large scale model aircraft of 5mtrs span (and scale model boats) so I recon I've got most tools, it's just the know how that's missing here.

I'll see if I can find your article.

Cheers,

Jim

Addition... Tried googling it NG, Can't find forum topic lists here!

• Like 1

Hi Jim,

Nope, not my video, I think some did it in the U.S. as Satellite/DAB/iPod stereo module fitting is popular out there.

There is a thread on the U.S. Lexus owners club that is pages long regarding screen replacements due to many owners sticking their TomTom's on the built in screen and many where owners have punched and broken the screen, you certainly aren't the only one to have done this!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chris, Well it's a week later, I've got the new screen as advertised, and as I suspected the pins and sockets are different so the unit cannot simply be swapped. I'm adding a photo which will show the difference.

F286C187-F740-47CF-9193-BF6B63843A9D_zps the lower photo shows the unit from my 2004 RX300, the upper photo is the unit from an RX400h.

I've removed the unit in the car so now I have to send it away to company at Rochester and hope that they do a good job, after all they must have many satisfied customers or else they would have gone out of business....

Jim

Just this afternoon I've found an exact unit (used) in good condition on eBay so have ordered it, price slightly higher than BBA-REMAN quoted but good, I just have to remove the outer casing ready for transplant in a few days time.

Which leaves me with a redundant Nav display unit (bought in error) Toyota # 86110-48210; Fugitsu Ten # 134000-2870B101, removed from an RX400h all in excellent condition £295 inc postage.

PM if interested.

85807D15-54BF-4B4A-BAC7-93371CE90517_zps

Jim

Sorry to hear it's not a straight swap, but when you take the front plastics (air vents etc) off your old unit, look closely around the edge of the screen, there's two or three cables that connects it to the rest of the unit, the picture cables usually have plastic plug strips but the touch/digitiser cable is usually a very flat plastic ribbon usually brown in colour.

It would be useful to compare the above with the newer model screen, as I still believe just the good screen itself could be unplugged/unbolted and swapped with the faulty unit.

If it helps, the last sale on eBay of the newer model unit you have went for £400...!

That's interesting Chris, being retired I have plenty of time to mess about with the unit, I'll try your suggestion tomorrow after I've spent an hour or two on the gardening, but the replacement unit is on its way.

It will be interesting to see how the digitiser lead is attached, I don't want to get into a soldering job though.

It's fingers crossed time.

Jim

• Like 1

Hi Jim, no soldering, just some fiddly connector plugs and lots of screws!

Take photos and when unscrewing bits, I find if you do it on a large table with a towel on it, you can place the screws in the same pattern they come out of the unit - this helps when putting it back together.

I've refurbished several iPhones and iPads this way and touch wood, they have all been OK but everything is so tiny and zero working space & glue - you won't have these problems on your nav screen!

If you aren't in a hurry and get stuck, just post some pictures up!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links