Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Issues With Lexus 220d

hi everyone,

im new to lexus forums and after a little advice. i just bought a 58 plate lexus is220d with 100k miles on the clock. the car came with a fresh mot and service a couple of days ago and i have found several issues.

the main issue is the brakes..they are incredibly hard to stop. its like there is no soft braking like the calipers a seized.looking at the rear brake pads they have around 2-3mm left which i thought would fail the mot. when i test drove it i thought that maybe they are not that great becuase it had been sitting for a while.

so having the brake issue i thought i would check a few other service things like the air filter. my god it was chock full of crud like itwas the original one from new.

post-54253-0-16426700-1443303296_thumb.j

post-54253-0-04304800-1443303297_thumb.j

so i rang the garage up and they stated i need to bring it to them tuesday.

im not happy with the car as it is and want it sorted, but whats the best course of action?

any info would be great.

Sadly, a car which has certainly not had the service attention it deserves (and needs).

That air filter is a disgrace - no excuses - a perfectly good Blue Print filter is available for £14.06 on eBay. But I wonder about the other filters - oil, fuel, cabin? And oil changes. And all the other service inspections?.

As for the brakes, there is a high probability that the caliper slide pins are seized. They are not even on the Lexus service schedule, but it is critical that the brakes (front and rear) are dismantled annually and the slide pins cleaned and greased. Get that done as an absolute priority.

And then - I wonder about the state of the EGR and DPF. I hope that you are going to do serious miles on a motorway with this car. Then with proper service attention you have some hope of keeping it going.

Otherwise I'm afraid you could be in for some problems.

If only people would come here first - every week an innocent lamb turns up here after being LED to slaughter - then you might have bought an IS250! But hopefully you can get some enjoyment from the car without too much expense!

Good luck!

Oh - and re brake pad thickness. New rear pads are 10.5mm thickness and minimum 1.0mm, so 2-3mm is pretty much shot but not an MoT fail. (But you'd need to check the inner pads, and if the caliper pins are seized the inner ones could well be more worn)

Again, no excuses - EBC Ultimax pads are fine (for the rear) for less than £25 a set - more expensive/upgraded ones are available! They are very easy to fit (once the calipers are sliding freely!).

Absolutely disgrace can't spend extra 15 for a filter should check cabin filter might b same. When I bought my is220d 2006 from a garage in Preston checked air filter @ it was same they said they serviced car but couldn't change filter.mine got 90k on clock. It's nice to drive though. Calipers seem to b siezed get them to change em at thier expense. Put v power fuel and take it for a good run on motorway, air filter is in that state what egr/dpf will b like good luck

Seems familiar.

Have a look at my thread :

What's strange is that up until I bought mine, it had a full Lexus service history.

I would check your pollen and fuel filters as well. I have the original invoices for the work Lexus did, and there is no mention of the fuel filter ever being changed.

As for the brakes, I agree there is a high probability it is the caliper slide pins. Funnily enough, mine were seized when I bought the car. Although it is a easy job to take them apart and grease them.

Your local Lexus dealer should be able to offer you a free health check; mine does. That is how I found out about my calipers being seized.;

Good luck.

I had very similar issues with mine, bought from dealer & later serviced by the same dealer, but air filter looked identical to yours! ... just don't trust the Lexus dealers... when I complained they just started a sales pitch for a newer car ... all polite and friendly to your face, but hopeless in the garage, with no comeback.

thanks i will take it back tuesday...just waiting for all the bullsh+t spiel from the garage

Good luck tomorrow. As you just bought it they should rectify the issues no problem (had discs, pads and water pump replaced by garage when I bought mine) if they don't, simply say its not fit for purpose and you want to reject it. Once you sort out these issues, it should give you years of happy (and fairly economic) motoring.

got sorted..turns out all the caliper sliders were seized, new pads all round and new front discs...and off cause a new air filter.. car is 10 times better now. garage was good and i didn't get any hassle. removed the egr valve and the carbon build up was really bad, in fact the top of the carbon was the perfect shape of the bottom of the egr. the hole was about 5mm so scraped all the crud out and re built it. all good thanks

got sorted..turns out all the caliper sliders were seized, new pads all round and new front discs...and off cause a new air filter.. car is 10 times better now. garage was good and i didn't get any hassle. removed the egr valve and the carbon build up was really bad, in fact the top of the carbon was the perfect shape of the bottom of the egr. the hole was about 5mm so scraped all the crud out and re built it. all good thanks

Excellent...shame they dont sort out these things pre sale instead of post sale, as they obviously know what to look for, talk about 'win some, lose some' attitude....main thing is you have a good car now though

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links