Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Oil Leak An Warranty

Mikeyb999

Last week my CT was in for a service / first MOT.

No surprises, but they did call to tell me there was evidence of oil around the sump and that they thought it possibly had an oil leak. It was suggested they had the car back in to change the sump gasket as it would be a quick job. There is no oil on my drive, or where my car is parked during the day so I guess its very minor.

When I asked if it was a warranty item I was told it was not covered so I would have to pay, but when I look on the Lexus website to see what the warranty covers it states it does include "oil leaks"

Before I call them back to query this has anybody any experience of the approved car warranty claims and / or oil leaks?

Oil leaks are most often than not fair wear and tear BUT only for high usage vehicles. Oil leaks are caused in the most part by worn oil seals which normally only wear with use. Oil seals and gaskets can sometimes start to leak at low mileages due to manufacturing faults or premature component failure. I am guessing that the latter might be the case with your oil leak.This would be why such a fault would be covered by the warranty. Lexus engines shouldn't start leaking at low mileages.

Possibly a seal has prematurely failed or a gasket wasn't properly fitted in the factory.

Since the diagnosis seems to be a bit vague ie "evidence of oil around the sump" it could just be over enthusiastic fluid filling during a previous service or inspection.

So long as your engine hasn't covered silly amounts of miles, I would say that you are covered by warranty. If in doubt, check with Lexus UK; I am sure they wouldn't like to admit to manufacturing engines which routinely leak fluids.

As regards having to pay, I would imagine a non Lexus dealer asking for payment, however, I wouldn't expect an appointed Lexus dealer to be asking for payment. ( assuming that your engine is low mileage)

"evidence of oil around the sump and that they thought it possibly had an oil leak"

I would need a little more assurance from the garage before I let them start dismantling my car.

Could quite easily be spilt oil as someone mention. Clean the area, drive the car, check again.

• Like 1

Fair point regarding mileage - mine would be considered high by most people - it will be 3 years old in Feb and has 112K. I bought it from a dealer as a lexus approved vehicle,however, I see no limitations on mileage in the warranty other than exhaust, wipers and brakes.

The only other limitation I see is that the history must be up to date and the warranty must be in force before the vehicle covers 140K.

Think I'll give the warranty administrators a call and seek their feedback

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links