Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is Rx400H Suitable For Mild Off-Roading

Hi all,

I am planning a trip from UK to India in summer 2017. Initially thought of buying a land cruiser, but it ll be too expensive to buy a car for the purpose. So was thinking if I can take my RX400h (08Reg) instead of buying another car.

I was not sure if RX can handle the high altitudes and mountains (Himalayan belt from china, Nepal to India). Currently I use my RX only for office commute in Berkshire.

Did any one drive RX400h on tough roads or steep hills? is this car suitable for the kind of roads I am planning to travel.? My neighbour told me lexus is not suitable for any kind of off roading as the electric motors will burn out.

Please advice.

Hat off to you for even considering this venture!

The 'electric motors will burn out' seems a load of twaddle to me, I'd be more concerned with getting stuck and having to deal with a CVT gearbox, no control over the AWD system and inability to easily disable traction control (should the need arise to try and 'rock' my way out of a slippy situation).

If you do end up taking this adventure on, I'd consider changing wheels to a 15" or 16" alloys and getting decent all terrain tyres fitted!

Best of luck!

Chris.

• Like 2

Although I think the RX would be able to handle it (currently typing this from India) the Indian roads would lead to a lot of unnecessary stress on components. The hyundaI verna I'm driving has just lost its power steering at 40k miles :(. Good thing is its cheap as chips to sort anything out here.

I'd be looking at something cheap like a pajero or toyota hilux personally

• Like 2

+1. I think it would be a serious mistake to take a complex vehicle such as a RX 400 on such a trip. I do not doubt the ability of the vehicle but, as Rayaans has quoted above, the additional stresses on the components would inevitably lead to failure of something which, with the most capable mechanics, would be difficult to replace/repair outside major population centres. It could well end up costing you far more than the price of a more available, sturdy, standard off road vehicle. Just my opinion.

• Like 1

Hi Chris, Rayaans, Chesterman and Gliderpilot thank you very much for your advice on my first step of the plan (selecting a car for the trip). I thought of driving my lexus as its comfortable and trust the car with the way I maintain it (the kind of bond between man and machine). After further reading I also found that I need passage permits for for atleast 3 countries on the way and and price depends on how much your car costs, so the more expensive the car, the more you have to pay for import permits for various countries along the way. It seems better to take some cheap car like hilux, old landrover. I am even considering my old Honda accord if I decide to go tru Iran and pakistan as this route seems drivable in a car as it dosent touch himalayan belt.

Hi Chris, Rayaans, Chesterman and Gliderpilot thank you very much for your advice on my first step of the plan (selecting a car for the trip). I thought of driving my lexus as its comfortable and trust the car with the way I maintain it (the kind of bond between man and machine). After further reading I also found that I need passage permits for for atleast 3 countries on the way and and price depends on how much your car costs, so the more expensive the car, the more you have to pay for import permits for various countries along the way. It seems better to take some cheap car like hilux, old landrover. I am even considering my old Honda accord if I decide to go tru Iran and pakistan as this route seems drivable in a car as it dosent touch himalayan belt.

Be aware that in some countries bumps are not regulated like in the UK so the Honda Accord will hit. I'm having issues with this hyundai in that it hits bumps and all sorts so by the time I give it back it's going to be knackered

On such a long road trip do you think there is ANY possibility of unwanted attention from less than savoury characters (shall we say...)? From bandits, bent border guards and dodgy police/army 'officials' etc...

A more stealthy approach in a ratty looking vehicle may attract less attention!

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links