Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My first RX 300!

So I've bought my first RX

Initial impression... im thrilled to bits!

My search lasted three months and I'm glad I took my time and waited for the right car, there's a few RX 300's around and most are tidy but I wanted a lower mileage car and I managed to get an 05 SE in Silver with 59k

I have few reservations on higher mileage cars but I wanted something that I could keep for a good few years

The car had 1 previous owner and a full Lexus service history, everything seems to work very well on the car and after having tried every switch... not bad for a ten year old car!

Ive just had the alloys refurbished and a new set of Michelins fitted And there were a few scratchers on the body work which I had repaired and now the car looks fresh from the factory! 

The last thing I will do is get a full professional valet as I dont think the previous owner ever had it done... which is surprising since the car is a lovely car and well worth looking after

Carpets could do with a shampoo as  they are a little bit grubby, im quite fussy with my cars I like to keep a car clean and tidy, the Grey leather looks in terrific undamaged condition and very clean so one less thang!

Next jobs... I need four new wheel center caps, a new drivers side floor mat as there is heel wear showing and then I think were getting there, all ship shape

As soon as I've had the valet done I'll post some pickies of my new pride and joy!

Oh' one last thing, anyone know if it is possible to retro fit rear PDC??

This car doesn't have PDC and I'm missing this feature :sad:

• Like 1

Sounds good, the mats come in sets if you buy them from Lexus but take a look on eBay and there should be some there. The RX400h grey mat will also fit.

If you mean parking sensors, yes, they dont have parking sensors.

You can have them retrofitted and aren't that expensive. My 54 plate RX300 was fitted with parking sensors by the dealer and they were great!

Has the timing belt and water pump been done? Would be factoring these in if I were you and planning to keep the car.

100k or 10 years is the change interval, rubber does perish with age regardless of the low mileage...

• Like 1

Thanks for the interesting reply

I think I will probably end up getting a new set of mats from Lexus eventually because aren't they such good quality...Also I might get some winter mats and that way I can keep the summer mats clean

Interesting intel regarding the parking sensors! 

I have seen a 300 with the parking sensors on the rear bumper which is how I got the idea that it must have been an available option, so I guess I will give lexus a call and see what the cost if installation would be

If its a generic kit that they supply then it should be quite reasonable

15 minutes ago, ChrisKaye said:

Has the timing belt and water pump been done? Would be factoring these in if I were you and planning to keep the car.

100k or 10 years is the change interval, rubber does perish with age regardless of the low mileage...

Thanks for the tip

I will look through the paperwork and see if its been done.

I have checked the service history and I cannot see any mention of timing belt and water pump, idlers etc!

So I guess that needs doing, which is cheaper a Lexus dealer or Toyota??

I also noticed that on the interim service they show oil filter and drain plug gasket but no oil??

Unless oil filter means oil/filter, its not very clear, surely they wouldnt just change the filter?

If so that doesn't add up because the main service before that was 12 thousand miles ago and when I bought the car I pulled the dip for both the engine and gearbox and both oils looked very clean...

Unless lexus give free oil on an interim service! I doubt it

Sounds great!

First thing I did was have new tyres too... made a huge difference to the drive and handling, and they became a 'known' quantity again.

You can find wheel caps on amazon I think, or eBay ...

Also maybe decide if you are going Lexus, Toyota, Trusted Independent, for your servicing?

I like to create a starting point and get the fluids all done - with the recommended fluids.

Enjoy your car! I'm stil discovering things - like the place to hand the loose petrol filler, when you fill.

( I also updated the wipers, Xenon bulbs, air filter, fluids and mats ).

I also had the air con serviced. It's something that sometimes gets forgotten, but should we get a hot Summer (?!) then it will be worth it!  ( About £50 for a proper one )

Enjoy!  I LOVE mine.

Yup oil would have been changed with filter and drain plug so no worries there!

When I bought mine I did pretty much as PCM recommends, changed all fluids, timing belt and tensioner, water pump and spark plugs (although yours could be good for another few years and 40k miles) just seemed worth doing with the belts as access is easier for the mechanic...

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, PCM said:

Sounds great!

First thing I did was have new tyres too... made a huge difference to the drive and handling, and they became a 'known' quantity again.

You can find wheel caps on Amazon I think, or eBay ...

Also maybe decide if you are going Lexus, Toyota, Trusted Independent, for your servicing?

I like to create a starting point and get the fluids all done - with the recommended fluids.

Enjoy your car! I'm stil discovering things - like the place to hand the loose petrol filler, when you fill.

( I also updated the wipers, Xenon bulbs, air filter, fluids and mats ).

I also had the air con serviced. It's something that sometimes gets forgotten, but should we get a hot Summer (?!) then it will be worth it!  ( About £50 for a proper one )

Enjoy!  I LOVE mine.

Ha' ha I recently found the clip for the petrol cap also, they think of everything. ..

I did change my wipers for Bosch blades and now I can see where im going!

Can believe the previous owner would drive like that!! Still different strokes for different folks.see what I did there:laugh:

I will look into the fluids because I noticed the headlamp cleaner nozel keeps popping up when we get a frost, im a bit concerned that the washer fluids might be freezing!

Loads of spares and accessories in the states... on ebay/Amazon just got to wait longer for delivery though...:mellow::mellow::mellow:

42 minutes ago, ChrisKaye said:

Yup oil would have been changed with filter and drain plug so no worries there!

When I bought mine I did pretty much as PCM recommends, changed all fluids, timing belt and tensioner, water pump and spark plugs (although yours could be good for another few years and 40k miles) just seemed worth doing with the belts as access is easier for the mechanic...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok thanks

Another 500 bucks by the sounds of things gulp!

... and to be honest... driving through the mud AND rain and surface water and heavy traffic ( sensibly ) with my two children, I felt SAFE.

So, worth every penny.

You will too.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links