Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Visual Safety Report

My vehicle was in at Lexus Cardiff today for a warranty job (see extended warranty worth it thread).

They compiled their usual Visual Safety Report video.  While I was mooching around Cardiff shops I received a text telling me they had found three advisories and could I call.

1. Windscreen wipers just starting to smear a bit.

2. Non-Lexus interior mats fitted (still have the anchors on the driver mat though)

3. Tyre repair kit beyond expiry date.

I'm not offended, just pleased that my car is in good nick :thumbup:

Does that mean you don't have a 'run home' wheel in the 250C?

Those vids made me chuckle. I had some when she was serviced at Lexus. Whilst in the car park I opened the bonnet and checked the air filter ....it was blacker than a bag of coal. When I pointed this out the reply was "we only change those every 35,000 mls as scheduled. You are 7,000 mls off that".

My response was, well you should at the very least do a visual ... it took me 5 mins to get the old filter out and inspect it. Hardly time consuming. 35,000 mile between changes is ridiculous. I do mine myself ( and the cabin filter at same time ) every 12 months or 12,000 mls whichever comes first.

I go to an indy now. The owner had a Lexus 250 so knows exactly what to do. Including greasing the slider pins!!

• Like 1

I think a space-saver spare could fit in the well if it had been designed with that in mind.  Modern trend I guess with tyre gunk in a can.  Can't say I'm pleased (I'm a bit old fashioned), but the desire for the 250C was greater than the spare wheel compromise.  Not particularly quick, but a lovely car nevertheless.

I attend to the air and cabin filters myself too, so cheap and easy to do.  Shouldn't be mileage related, depends on the environment it's driven in.  I always find loads of leaves in mine.

I have a 2 year Lexus warranty in place from November last year so I have to use Lexus servicing.  The car was serviced just a month before I took ownership so I'll get away with just one service from Lexus to enjoy 23 months of the warranty.

You're right, the modern trend does not sit easy with me either. I have the same issue with the prospect of replacing my wife's MX-5 with the newer folding roof variant (much like the 250C in operation). There is no spare just a can of gunk to ruin the tyre (so I've heard) in the event of a puncture. We have a 'run home' in the present MX-5. I was mighty pleased too when we had a puncture, way up in the mountains between Annecy and Chamonix. 

Quite a few chaps with the CT200h have opted to get a run home wheel and secure it in the boot.

The 250C is a very nice car indeed. Pop that stick over to manual mode and use the paddles. Once you get the hang of it, I honestly think you will be quite surprised how well it goes. It may not be a turbo rocket but it's enough to put a smile on my face.

Lexus offered me a replacement tyre repair gunk thingy for £145 - I politely declined.  I have bought off a factor on eBay two "Finilec" cannisters for £16 delivered for the pair.  I bought two because a lot of cannisters specify for up to 16" wheels and mine are 255/40 18s.  My research revealed that early gunks rendered the tyre useless afterwards, but these later ones are water soluble so you can repair the tyre.  They are also TPMS friendly.

If I had the saloon like yours Normski, I would carry a run home wheel too if only gunk was supplied, unfortunately the boot space is required for the folding roof on mine.

Since you advised this on another thread, I've been experimenting with the paddles on my local running about.  I'm amazed how seamless the gear changes are.....I've not used it with gusto yet though.  My trip to Caersws is back on for this weekend so I'll be giving it a go.

Thank you Normski for solving a problem that has puzzled me regarding the air filter ,on both the Lexus models I have had with full stamped histories ,the air filters have been dirty in the extreme,I have E mailed the dealer without success ,and as I do all my own servicing ,I will continue changing air filters at 10,000 miles .With regard to the ' no spare ' situation ,I have used a rubber mushroom TIRE PLUGGER system on motor cycles and on my MX5 with excellent results if the hole is caused by a nail or screw ,not feasible for side wall damage or split .If you do use the ' goo ' it makes such a mess inside the tyre that most repairers will not repair it . If you google    stop and go tire plugger you will find a selection of tubeless repair systems .

dave

Glad to be of help.

The air filter thing is just plain stupid .. Get it sorted Lexus, it really is not good enough.

Thanks for the insights into tyre gunk. That's good to hear there is a water soluble pack ... That I guess can be simply washed out ... Makes sense.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links