Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

So, Your Going To Buy Something Off Ebay........

andybriggs

Dont know if any of you were in there bidding against me for the following reg: L3XDS at the end of November last year, but I had the highest bid at the end of the auction, (£735.00) but it hadn't reached the 'reserve'. Not to be out done, I emailed the seller to see how far off the reserve I was and to see if we could 'come to an arangement'. The outcome was he agreed to sell to me for £820.00 so, after recieving copies of his log book & MOT, I sent of a cheque which he duly cashed. He was then supposed to transfer the plate from his LS400 onto a retention certificate & send that to me. He phoned the week before Christmas to say if I sent hime my Tax Disc, MOT & Log book, (& £80.00 transfer fee), he would sort it all ou in one transaction thus I would get the plate in time for Xmas. This didnt happen, but I thought with the Xmas hols etc. I would leave it untill after the New Year.

well I have been emailing the guy and sent letters but he seems to have disapeared off the face of the earth, so this morning I reported it to the police who are treating it as quite a serious crime, as it involves my vehicle documents. They did say however that the guy may have just gone away for a week or so and didnt think on leting me know, but the plate IS still registered on his car.

So moral of the story..... LISTEN TO WHAT eBay SAYS, and if you see an LS400 with the L3XDS (looks like L3XUS), please key it for me. :angry:

:iraqi-info-minister: :tsktsk:

as you have a copy of his log book etc:

look up his phone number and try and ring him

he may have lost use of his computer etc:

you shouldnt have sent your tax disc off, it leaves you without and liable to prosecution,

hope it is a mistake and not another rip off merchant

let eBay know

Someone serious and committed to selling (not just thinking about it) their plate will have the plate taken off their vehicle and put on retention ready to sell easily and quickly.

I'd always steer clear if they haven't bothered to remove the mark from their car, yet advertise it. It shows they aren't organised. And it means you'll definetley have a long wait. Even if it is a genuine buy, the time it takes DVLA to post him the documents after he goes to the DVLA and pays to take it off his car is several weeks sometimes. Then he has to post it to you...

So that's what could have happened in your case, it's possible he has been to the DVLA and even paid them, but sometimes they will take 3+ weeks to send him the new reg for his car and the retention cert.

So as a guideline always buy a plate that's on retention, not one that's still on a car, or be prepared to be patient and very careful.

• 4 weeks later...

What a git, things like this and hearing about e-bay email scams makes you lose your faith in them a bit...

When at the end of the day, e-bay supplies a good service, and helps us get things for a price we normally wouldn't find anywhere else!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links