Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Trickle charging an RX400h

Hello folks, apologies if this has been asked before and if the question sounds a little daft but is it safe enough to use a trickle charger on a hybrid?

I have used my charger before on normal petrol cars but this is my first hybrid and with the car not being used all the time, I just feel its worth hooking up the charger when not in use.  I have put it on and it seems ok but I felt to ask the question anyway.

Also, out of interest, what average mpg have RX400h owners been getting?  I was given a full tank and have only driven around 60 miles so far but it does seem to have dropped slightly already!

Thank you

Hello. I can't speak about the trickle charger myself, but it has been mentioned quite a few times I believe. Personally I've never needed to use one as I've never had a problem starting mine even if it's been left a while.

I get around 30 to 33 mpg around town, occasionally dropping to 29.

On a motorway run I get 33 to 35 mpg. Occasionally I get 37

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Thank you for the reply.

Well it does seem to be taking the charge ok and I will keep it going.  I did have an experience with an older car I had that just kept losing Battery power every few days even though the Battery was in good form.

Thanks for posting your MPG figures, I think I may be just under what you have quoted but I will let it even itself out hopefully after a few more miles of driving.

The one thing I did notice was the steering does seem to pull slightly to the right.  Have you experienced this yourself?  I have a geometry print out in the folder from not too long ago which shows it tried to correct it but it still remains.  Not the end of the World I suppose!

I think I heard somewhere most front wheel drive cars pull slightly to the right, I think the RX is front wheel drive it until it detects slippage, then it goes to four wheel drive. I have detected a slight pull to the right but only under harsh acceleration , but it's not very noticeable.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

My 400h is often on the drive for a week or more between trips.   For this reason I have a solar trickle charger, (4W,) connected via the OBD socket whenever the car is not in use.   This, or some other form of witchcraft, has worked well for me and to date no issues.   It certainly has done no harm to anything.   MPG - I average 29.8 across all journeys.   Hope that helps.

Thank you both for the replies.  I will see how I get on over the coming days and hopefully the MPG will lift to 30 on average as that is what I was hoping for.  None the less, its still a lovely, lovely car (or suv) and is very comfortable.  

I remember watching Harry's Garage on Youtube (the former EVO magazine owner) and he had one of those solar devices on his SL600 in Nice which kept a charge going to the Battery.  After a few months left in a car park, he unlocks the car and it starts right away!  Now, just need some more sunshine... !

Thanks

I'm looking at a solar trickle charger as well. The Battery in the new RX400h I had in California would not start the car if it stood for about two weeks or more. A known problem as the Battery is just not man enough for the job. The Battery died after three years and the dealer told me this was to be expected. Now with a 2007 here in the UK I mainly do short trips and not that many of them so I know it's going to be flat one day. I'd really like to mount the charger permanently and wire it into the rear 12v outlet but so far I can't find one that is outdoor proof. Otherwise it'll be on the dash with wire draped down to the OBD outlet which I'd like to avoid.

Ideas anyone?

I recall reading a post on this forum over a year ago from a member who had indeed imbedded solar panels into the rear spoiler, though I have a feeling it was hard wired.   Unfortunately I cannot remember the outcome as it was not something I would pursue.   Suggest a forum search on the subject of weak 12V battery/solar charging.   Hope that helps.   Ian. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links