Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Removing A pillar trim/headliner LS400 mk4

Hi,

Just want to pick a few brains. I'm in the process of fitting a DAB adaptor to my mk4 LS400. It's one that transmits DAB to the head unit via an unused FM frequency. The kit comes with an aerial which sticks to the top passenger side of the windscreen, it comes with an earthing tale which magnetically sticks to a metal part of the body. How easy is it to remove the A pillar trim or prise open the front of the headlining slightly to get to the metalwork? Apparently using the earth tale improves the DAB signal.

I just wanted to ask before I potentially do any damage!!! Cheers everybody.

Hi Martin

The sequence of removal of trim is very important as to avoid damage , the prising of the plastics should only be done at release points if these are not determined there is every possibility permanent damage to the garnishes will occur.

You need to determine which garnishes need removal before attempting anything, the workshop manual shows the application of the linings for the roof and side trims.The metalwork is not just behind the linings as they are quite deep so the particular area you need to access may need full removal of that piece.

I decided to tackle the DAB installation today. I had to remove the passengers grab handle which enabled me to pull the A pillar trim back far enough so I could reach the metalwork underneath. The trim is just held by clips. I have a film type DAB antenna, the earthing strip was just long enough to reach the bodywork, the antenna wire then ran down behind the A pillar and I fed the wire around the door seal and under the glovebox to the centre console where I have mounted the DAB receiver.

I switched it on and let it find all the DAB stations it could, set it to FM transmission then tuned the head unit to that FM frequency and BINGO!!! DAB in my LS400!!! I then went for a quick drive round and found a couple of spots when it dropped signal but all in all not bad at all, I live in a bit of a DAB fringe area anyway. For anybody interested I used the Sonichi  S100 DAB tuner which was £41 and the auto leads film windscreen antenna at £19.99, both from Halfords. Sonichi do offer their own magnetic external aerial but I didn't want to start drilling holes in the bodywork and also could easily be nicked as its only magnetic but perhaps most important is that some people have reported more wind noise with this antenna and in a Lexus that would never do!!!

Overall, it took about 20 mins to do, I didn't damage anything and I'm so far pleased with the results, if I could find a way of curing those couple of dropped signals I'd be even happier but that's DAB for you.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links