Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Leaky Radiator and Pump?

Just had my car in for a 10 year service, although due to its mileage, some major items were done early last year. However the coolant hadn't been and I asked the local dealer to do it.

They didn't and showed me a video inspection of the car which, although difficult to see seemed to show slight seepage around the bottom of the rad and in the area of the water pump. They 'recommend' replacing both as they think replacing the coolant will blow the radiator! (presumably they want to pressure test in some way).

Car has only done 200 miles since the service and I can't yet see any real change to the coolant level, so I'm not inclined to do this, as they want nearly 1000! 3 hours labour for each item. Even if I went to an indy and sourced the parts, it would still cost 500. So has anyone else come across this problem?

Get it pressure tested first only need to change if radiator is leaking and was it lexus dealer @ which one who quoted u £1000

If u need radiator try tj auto Ilford Google it they are cheapest might b able to get waterpump too.

I would want to know if my radiator would hold up under pressure should the water temperature rise for any reason.  Actually, if a pressure test did make it worse, and I doubt it would, it would probably do you a favour as it will save you a breakdown in the future by having it replaced.

On 15/11/2016 at 5:20 PM, TimS320 said:

Yes, it was the main dealer who quoted 1k. Bit worried if I pressure test it, it may make it worse.

Nah pressure test won't make it worse at all.

If a pressure test is OK, most likely water pump is on its way out. No point changing both of them together.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links