Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Leather protection worth it?

Hi, I'm about to buy a 450h and the dealer has offered some leather protection for about £500. I can't remember the exact price. But it's a coating that is then warrantied for life of my ownership. I think he also said it covers the paintwork too for 3 years. A bit vague on the details as I was in a hurry.

Is this worth it?

Probably not if I'm honest. You can buy better quality products for a fraction of the price they are charging and do it yourself. Dealer applied coatings are not normally that great, but if you wanted to spend good money to do it then take it to a professional detailer who can do it correctly and use far better products. Would be far more expensive though.

The thing is unless you look after the car correctly and wash it correctly the coatings are a bit of a waste of money. Take it to your local hand car wash and the paintwork would just get ruined anyway no matter what was put on it.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaveyBoy said:

Hi, I'm about to buy a 450h and the dealer has offered some leather protection for about £500. I can't remember the exact price. But it's a coating that is then warrantied for life of my ownership. I think he also said it covers the paintwork too for 3 years. A bit vague on the details as I was in a hurry.

Is this worth it?

"In my opinion"....These are the usual extras added to the price of a used vehicle. They are just a bonus for the salesman.

I've been sucked into thes a couple of times myself, but not again.  Another one they offer is replacement of a similar car

if it's written off in an accident, rather than what your insurance company would offer.  Then there's the "bump and scuff" cover,

which gets minor bodywork repaired "free of charge".  You pays your money and you takes your choice.

• Like 1

Not worth it. Guaranteed for 3 years means you have to follow their wash procedures and use those products to maintain the coating.

Leather clean and seal kits can be found for less than £30 nowadays, just do it once a year and it should generally be OK. 

Paint protection needs to be maintained as well, otherwise whats the point. 

• Like 1

Thanks chaps, it's what I was thinking deep down. Since this is my dream car, I feel like it needs special attention. 

I had a Freelander that I never washed outside but kept the interior clean. I took it down green lanes with bushes scraping the side. When I traded it in, I washed it. The dealer was amazed at the condition of the car considering the age. No scratches anywhere. The dirt protected the paint!

The leather seats wore really well (beige too). Rear being new and rarely sat on.

What worried me was seeing a 4 year old car with the driver's seat in a really poor state.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links