Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

DAB radio not working in reverse gear

This has been happening for a few days but I've never really paid much attention as to exactly when, just thinking that I must be in a bad signal area. However, just now I became aware of the correlation between loss of signal and selection of reverse gear.

I'm assuming that it should be covered under warranty but as it's a two-hour drive from here to Lexus Teeside, if it's anything trivial I'll sort it myself, so can anyone shed any light on it?

OK, panic over - I think!

Couldn't sleep last night and as I looked at the clock for the umpteenth time, at 3.30am I had a lightbulb moment - literally.

I don't know why it should happen or the mechanism by which it is happening but it suddenly struck me that it's about a week ago since I swapped out my incandescent reversing lights for LEDs. I'm going to put the incandescent bulbs back in and see if the problem goes away, but hopefully it's nothing more sinister than the LEDs, although why they should have that effect on the DAB I have no idea.

24 minutes ago, Dewillia said:

Had the same issue on a Jaguar XF, changed the door entry lights to logo LED's and when the door was open DAB would loose signal

It's very strange. I've changed the door lights for logo LEDs and I've changed all other internal lights for LEDs as well, at least two months ago, but it only started when I changed the reversing lights.

It's possible the LED lights are causing radio frequency interference and interfering with the DAB signal. With digital if you get interference you lose the signal completely, no hissy interference.

If you try FM you might find an increase in background hiss when reverse is selected.

Cheap LED units use electronics to convert from 12v down to 5v or so for the LEDs and don't always have the interference supression components they should.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I know this has been posted a while ago but I just want to confirmed that its because of the LED reverse light. So during reverse the DAB signal loss, I saw the wiring diagram that the reverse light was actually inter-connected with the DAB. I tried changing with another set of LED light but the same problem. I further try to isolate the problem and found out that it was the right side reverse LED light was causing the DAB signal loss, when its the left side LED light is the only one installed, DAB would be fine during reverse. I tried to install a noise suppressor clamp on the right side reverse light wiring, no help. I stop at this, I don't usually use the DAB radio, I use more the Bluetooth source so I just left both LED reverse light installed. If any one has sorted this out, please give a shout.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links