Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tesla Model 3 versus any Lexus

nickb2015

Hi all, my Lexus is300h is up for renewal as a company car. I really wanted to stay with Lexus but the tax rule changes from April 2020 are compelling me to choose an EV. From April 2020 the BIK is zero. From 2021 1% and 2% the year after.  I've researched this all thoroughly and apart from some inconvenience in charging the Tesla an EV seems the way forward. I don't understand the UK government's approach. Hybrid should have been zero BIK too. This is the best middle ground solution until EV takes off. If I order another Lexus, I stand to lose around 3k per year. If I choose a Tesla, then I save 3k a year. The Tesla does not feel like a quality, luxury product. It feels like an expensive car made cheaply. The is300h has been faultless in the 4 years i've had it. I just feel Lexus has missed the boat on their global strategy. Even tho the ux300e is imminent, it feels like they are late to the game. So it looks like I will move to Tesla for 3 years until Lexus releases a viable EV to challenge the Tesla model 3. Is anyone else in a similar position?

Not exactly similar - I bought a Model 3 with my own money. 

It is a fantastic car. I've really been enjoying driving it, and it's more comfortable for me personally (as driver) than our GS450h Premier. A lot of what is said about Tesla build quality is overstated (as in people say it's much worse than it really is)... It isn't as good as our GS, but it's better than our Volvo V70, Honda Accord or Nissan Leaf were. The only material in the cabin that I find disappointing is the fake leather seats (but that's also true of the mercedes and lexus equivalents). 

I put up a review here: 

Just to add to that, over christmas we went from where we live in Todmorden to visit my brother in Ilford. On our way back where google maps gives 4hr26 for the journey, we covered it in 5hr15 including charging stops and arrived home with 25% (so could have charged less en-route. I I'd been a little more on the ball about it we could have cut one charge stop entirely if we'd extended another by a few minutes, so probably cut 15 minutes total journey time off). Doing that same journey in an ICE car (and in fact we did the exact same journey in november in the GS for my brother's birthday) was still very close to 5 hours because of pee/coffee/food stopping. In fact, the november journey down took longer in the GS because of a 45 minute traffic hold-up. 

In 4 months we've now covered 5000 miles with it. It's now faster, charges faster and has new features and capabilities that it did not have when we got it. 

I see you're in Yorkshire, so if you want a proper look and a ride out in it then let me know, if Todmorden isn't too far away. I am happy to answer EV novice questions etc. 

• Like 1

We got a podpoint installed when we got the Leaf (paid for by nissan and OLEV - but I did pay £95 extra to get a 32A unit instead of 16A even though the leaf could only use 16A, as I knew I'd need 32A in future, like now) - I just swapped the cable on it from a Type 1 to a Type 2 for the Tesla. Ultimately all EV wall chargers do the same job - deliver mains to the car safely. Some have smarter features (timers for E7, apps, etc) (and these days they must have "smart" features to qualify for the government OLEV grant - note that the Tesla charger does not), some play nicely with solar (that is Zappi's USP), etc. The diehard Tesla fans love the tesla one above all else - mainly because it has the button on the connector that will open the car's charge door or unlock the connector when disconnecting - probably not worth losing out on a few hundred quid of OLEV grant for though. The Tesla one won't charge the car any faster or differently to any other. 

Tesla has slightly updated the Model 3 sedan, which is the brand's most popular model. The Standard Range Plus version increased the range from 386 to 402 kilometers, but they did not explain in Tesla, due to which the developers achieved this. To accelerate to 60 miles per hour (97 km / h), the electric car still spends 5.3 seconds. But along with the range increased and cost

Lexus has told me the UX300e is for Q1 2021. 

The IS300h and CT200h have been a success story as far as company cars are concerned.

Lexus will lose a lot of customers to the EV providers.

Tesla is the market leader.

The main driver for companies promoting EV is they can claim 100% cost of the car back in corporation tax.

The UX300e is much more a competitor to the kia e-niro or hyundai kona ev in terms of size, passenger space, performance and charging speed than it is to the model 3, with a range that falls short of all of them. 

The model 3 SR+ is RWD, 250kW (335bhp) and 0-60 in 5.3 seconds, while the UX300e is FWD 150kW (201bhp) so likely to have a similar 7.8 second 0-60 to the e-niro (also FWD 150kW). The UX can only charge at 50kW peak, compared to 75kW for the kia/hyundai, and 170kW for the model 3. I said in another thread that the ux300e feels like a poor effort for 2021 - it has a 2012 charge rate, a 2018 performance and range in a 2018 body. 

My point there being they're not really comparable vehicles, just as you wouldn't compare a UX250h to a BMW 330i

By the time it is on sale the VW ID4 and audi Q4 etron should be on sale (assuming they don't suffer similar delays to the ID3), as should the Ford Mach E, all of which are much higher performance dedicated platform EVs. The e2008 and DS3 Crossback e-tense are on sale now (and very comparable to the UX), as is the MG eZS. And of course, looming very large for 2021 is the Tesla Model Y. 

Come on Toyota, give us something! Take the new Mirai, dump the hydrogen nonsense and give it batteries!

Agree totally. The point I was making was the UX isn't up to meeting the competition....I am hoping the next IS,300h will be EV...IS300e....I am sure they will have something up their sleeve but feel Lexus will lose a lot of sales over the next 2 years. I wish UK government would give hybrids zero BIK as they do for EV..

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links