Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Service plan

Marryat

Hi all

I have just bought a new Lexus UX.

The dealer is offering a 3 year service plan for just over £1k.

Are these plans generally worth it or a rip off? 

Any advice gratefully received.

Hey welcome to the forum!

I think it depends what's included, I would want to check exactly what they're doing for the money and how often they're doing those things. I'm also a bit wary of trusting main dealers to do servicing, this kind of work is typically given to junior techs and jobs tend to get rushed. If prices were the same I would definitely choose a trusted independent over a main dealer. That said, most of the time their work is probably good enough and a full main dealer service history is often a selling point when you come to get rid of the car.

Also if you plan to keep the car a long time you'll probably want to change the oil a bit more frequently than the service schedule recommends, particularly if you don't do a lot of miles or do a lot of short trips. Transmission fluid should be changed at 50k intervals (ignore anything you're told about it being "sealed for life"). Never flush the transmission, just a drain/fill and replace the filter assembly if it's replaceable. If anyone uses the word "flush" - run.

HTH
Mark

A new as in brand new? Then you should have at least a 1 year warranty or even 2. But for your car 2 intermediate and 1 20k service adds up to £975. Ive just looked on the Lexus service plan website. So to answer your question. Yes your dealer is ripping you off.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. I've just bought a new UX and signed up a service plan. By my reckoning in will save around £170 over the agreed term and servicing up to and including 30k miles. This is based on their standard quoted service costs and servicing every 10k miles. It's also price-fixed, as in if they put their prices up or the cost of the consumables increase, your plan remains the same. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links