Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 Se Stereo - No Mp3 Or No Cd-r ?

Apparently, some money from proper cd's goes to the recording artist.

This is to provide food and clothes for their families and so on.

Thus equipped, they can then continue to produce their music.

Tony,

some suggested reading for you;

The Problem With Music by Steve Albini

Courtney Love Does the Math

What Record Companies Don't Want You to Know (flash intro is a pain, but bear with it)

How Contracts with Major Labels Screw Artists

plenty there for you to read ;)

maybe then you may want to revisit the statement how downloading mp3's deprives artists of income.

I read a quote from Prince ages ago, that basically boiled down to him saying that he makes more money buy offering his new music available for low cost download direct from himself than he did whenhe had a major recoding label contract.

The quote was something like

I make more money selling 10 thousand albums downloaded over the internet than I did selling 10 million albums through stores

Not saying that piracy is correct.

But I found your argument that downloading is depriving artists of their living to be be very superficial, and completely missing the real issues of the matter, which are;

1 - Artists willingly sign these contracts

2 - these labels exist to make money for the company, not for the artist

3 - Major lables are desparately clinging to a marketing paradigm that is simply begging to be changed - people want to download music, and are prepared to pay a reasonable price (see the success of Apple's iTunes store) - but the labels don't want this as there simply isn't the money there they are used to making.

4 - downloading mp3's is not having an adverse effect on CD sales - in fact CD sales are rising (so making their who,e argument funcamentally flawed)

it will play cd-r's but only if the songs are in noral cda format - ie not MP3 format

options - burn the albums as normal format, change the radio to aftermarket,

Just burn them to cd-rs thats what i did, and trust me you listen to each album much more fully :lol:

If you get an aftermarket HU, you need to get a new amp and change all the speakers too (to get a decent sounding system), replace the hu, you replace the whole lot. And if you have sat nav this is option is not advisable unless you keep the stock HU in the boot.

PS welcome to club, and dont forget to go GOLD!!!

Hi,

That is my problem...... I already have burnt them to Cd-r's the problem is that the stereo will not read MP3 format......

Looks like a Ipod is in order.....not a bad thing I suppose

This thread is going way :offtopic: but its healthy :)

Well said matt ;)

If you really care sooo much about an artist not having food on the table, hire them out for a private party B) (but even then agents get a big cut) :lol:

Matt, did you see the BBC 3 program on Prince? (celeb assets i think it was). Yes he is making more money going self employed, but were are forgeting one factor here, how could he have shifted so many units, if he was never promoted by the majors in the first place?

Anyways I love music for music, not money. Thats why I left a hobby/scene that I once loved so much and decided on a career in accounting.

but were are forgeting one factor here, how could he have shifted so many units, if he was never promoted by the majors in the first place?

not missing that factor mate - see my first point.

:P

Artists willingly sign these contracts

no-one holds a gun to their heads.

they are given the contract on a piece of paper, read it and sign it of their own free will - indicating complete acceptance of all the terms and conditions within.

and we are going off topic - apologies to danes - if this continues, then I'll split this conversation out of the thread ;)

That is my problem...... I already have burnt them to Cd-r's the problem is that the stereo will not read MP3 format......

Looks like a Ipod is in order.....not a bad thing I suppose

Also, have a look at the Creative Zen Xtra - there's a 60gb version out now for about the same price as the 20gb Ipod.

I'm thinking about getting a HD based mp3 player but I fancy using it with one of those FM transmitter units so I need to check first if I'm going to run into loads of problems by having one of those in the car.

I'm thinking about getting a HD based mp3 player but I fancy using it with one of those FM transmitter units so I need to check first if I'm going to run into loads of problems by having one of those in the car.

I'm pretty sure they are illegal in this country - that's why the FM transmitter for the iPod hasn't been released over here even though you can probably buy them over the counter at a shop down Tottenham Court Road if you give a knowing wink to the person over the counter.

I got an iTrip off eBay - it's the FM transmitter for the iPod and works fine.

Only real problem with it is that the radio in the IS is at the back so since the output is not really strong you have to make sure you get a clean signal and it will sound great - I sometimes find though if travelling a fair distance that I have to turn the iTrip and the radio into a different frequency.

I'm still tempted to put Chubby Brown on it next time I'm in a traffic jam and tune it to 97.9 and see if other people pick it up?!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links