Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

NX Run-Flat Tyres

I talked to Kwikfit again this morning and showed them the photograph. It appears that japanese company ITOCHU owns both Kwikfit and Stapletons. The manager at the Wilmslow branch of Kwikfit told me that if Stapletons have the tyre, then Kwikfit will be able to source it even if it's not in their catalogue. If demand increases he assumes that Kwikfit will add the tyre to their catalogue. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 months later...

I'm on the cusp of purchasing a NX450h+ and was considering taking tyre and wheel insurance.  I started digging about to see if the insurance was any real value and have stumbled across the fact that it seems almost impossible to get RunFlat versions of a 235/50R20 V100 anywhere.  I went back to the dealership who have basically acknowledged that this is an issue and they are liaising with Lexus.  I can't see the value in taking any insurance if even Lexus main agent can get a tyre for these cars.  My school of thought is that before I purchase I want assurances from the dealer that if I'm unlucky enough the get a puncture and they can't supply me a tyre they will supply me another car until they can rectify the situation.  Not sure how that convo will go but I will let you all know.  In the meantime, I found this which appears to be about the only RunFlat in that size available in the UK.   https://www.tyre-shopper.co.uk/yokohama-bluearth-xt-ae61-tyres?size=235-50-20&speed=v&load=100&id=2355020YK8VR

2 minutes ago, Marc Jolly said:

I'm on the cusp of purchasing a NX450h+ and was considering taking tyre and wheel insurance.  I started digging about to see if the insurance was any real value and have stumbled across the fact that it seems almost impossible to get RunFlat versions of a 235/50R20 V100 anywhere.  I went back to the dealership who have basically acknowledged that this is an issue and they are liaising with Lexus.  I can't see the value in taking any insurance if even Lexus main agent can get a tyre for these cars.  My school of thought is that before I purchase I want assurances from the dealer that if I'm unlucky enough the get a puncture and they can't supply me a tyre they will supply me another car until they can rectify the situation.  Not sure how that convo will go but I will let you all know.  In the meantime, I found this which appears to be about the only RunFlat in that size available in the UK.   https://www.tyre-shopper.co.uk/yokohama-bluearth-xt-ae61-tyres?size=235-50-20&speed=v&load=100&id=2355020YK8VR

I was in my dealers the other day and specifically asked if they have any run flat tyres in stock. They acknowledged that they are having serious problems getting tyres and are working hard to resolve this. I made it clear that if Lexus have sold me a car I can't get a replacement tyre for if needed I would expect them to supply me with a car for the duration. They said they would "come to some arrangement" if required. Otherwise I presume you could reject the car as "unfit for purpose" if they can't provide such a basic thing as a Tyre. I hope I don't get to find out.

• 4 months later...

I see that Kwik Fit are now stocking the Bridgestone Alenza 001 Run Flat tyres for the 2022 NX, which is progress; the bad news is that they're currently £303 each. I'm thinking that the Hankook Ventus Evo3 Self-Sealing tyres are looking a better bet at £206 each. The only problem with the seal-sealing tyres that I can think of is how I'd know if one had a puncture and so needed attention. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gureamu said:

The only problem with the seal-sealing tyres that I can think of is how I'd know if one had a puncture and so needed attention. 

The Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) should be activated and a warning light should come on if the tyre pressure has dropped significantly.

Bear in mind that the efficacy of the self-sealing tyre depends very much on the particular system used and the size and position of the damage.  There are also specific restrictions placed on the continuing use of the tyre.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links