Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

NX Run-Flat Tyres

I'm expecting delivery of my new NX 450h+ F-Sport in March. The new car will arrive with 235/50 r20 run-flat tyres but a little research shows that none of the main tyre vendors (KwikFit, Black Circles, National Tyres etc.) stock 235/50r20 run flat tyres. I did contact Lexus marketing who stated that they've done a deal with a large UK tyre wholesaler who will be able to supply the fitters but I wonder how long it will take them to obtain supplies in an emergency. I wonder if it might be worth purchasing a tyre repair kit. Any thoughts?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Gureamu said:

I wonder if it might be worth purchasing a tyre repair kit. Any thoughts?

What type did you have in mind? A temporary one wouldn't gain you anything over the capability of the run-flat itself. Otherwise you need to look at something like dynaplug - which seem more popular in the US than here.

3 hours ago, Gureamu said:

I'm expecting delivery of my new NX 450h+ F-Sport in March. The new car will arrive with 235/50 r20 run-flat tyres but a little research shows that none of the main tyre vendors (KwikFit, Black Circles, National Tyres etc.) stock 235/50r20 run flat tyres. I did contact Lexus marketing who stated that they've done a deal with a large UK tyre wholesaler who will be able to supply the fitters but I wonder how long it will take them to obtain supplies in an emergency. I wonder if it might be worth purchasing a tyre repair kit. Any thoughts?

I noticed this also and it is concerning. 

4 hours ago, Gureamu said:

In this situation I would, for the first 3 years, rely on Lexus Care to provide a replacement car while a tyre is sourced, and / or to take me and my family to our destination. It is not something I would worry about.

• Thanks 1

On 2/1/2022 at 6:57 PM, ColinBarber said:

What type did you have in mind? A temporary one wouldn't gain you anything over the capability of the run-flat itself. Otherwise you need to look at something like dynaplug - which seem more popular in the US than here.

Really?
Out of curiosity as I have no experience of run flats, but I though a spare bicycle wheel/tyre could be used for longer than a run flat. So it would give you time to source the right tyre at the right price.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2022 at 6:24 PM, Gureamu said:

I wonder if it might be worth purchasing a tyre repair kit. Any thoughts?

But what kind of repair kit would it be?  Unless the sidewall is damaged, the RF is supposedly capable of being driven a few miles at reduced speed to a tyre retailer who can replace it or carry out a repair.

If you use the gloop injector type of kit, them many (probably most) repairers won’t touch it.  Approved repairers can use a plug-type repair if appropriate, but that can only be done once and in a specified area of the tread.  And it’s not a diy option.  Apart from anything else, I would think the days when I could get a tyre off a wheel with a couple of tyre levers and a mallet are long gone!

Replacing an RF with a non-RF is also problematic because of the different handling characteristics occasioned by the stiffer sidewall.  All in all you might be better off with a SpaceSaver spare to gain a little more time to source a replacement tyre.

My tyre supplier is no fan of RFs. He maintains that the ride is firmer as the sidewall is less flexible, and the tyre is noisier as it transmits more road vibration.  He also points out driving on a deflated RF actually means you’re running the tyre rim on the tyre wall, which is not a very clever idea.  So even if you plug a hole in the tread, there’s no way of knowing what potential damage has been done to the sidewall.  

Interestingly a JDPower survey of 2013 claimed that drivers with RFs were getting an average of 5K less miles out of a set.  And, as I discovered with my Goodyear Eagle Asymmetric 5s, not all the tyres in a range are available as RFs in all the sizes.

Personally, I would avoid RFs and use a SpaceSaver.  And then resign myself to buying a new tyre!  But that may not be what you wanted to hear!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LenT said:

He also points out driving on a deflated RF actually means you’re running the tyre rim on the tyre wall, which is not a very clever idea.  So even if you plug a hole in the tread, there’s no way of knowing what potential damage has been done to the sidewall.  

This is why no one will repair a runflat.

6 hours ago, Al D-Much said:

Really?
Out of curiosity as I have no experience of run flats, but I though a spare bicycle wheel/tyre could be used for longer than a run flat. So it would give you time to source the right tyre at the right price.

Yes, but my comment was related to your suggestion of using a tyre repair kit.

Getting a road hero wheel/tyre is an option. Personally I'd take the opportunity to get rid of the runflats and getting proper tyres (at least the two on the same axle) if I got a puncture.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LenT said:

He also points out driving on a deflated RF actually means you’re running the tyre rim on the tyre wall, which is not a very clever idea.  

Ooops!  For the sake of historical accuracy, I should have typed ‘wheel rim on the tyre wall’.  And it’s still not a good idea.

Just my two pennies worth but when a run flat is driven with no air you would be hard to notice the difference and hence the tyre warning system raison d être. As I may have previously mentioned, I replaced rf's on my BMW for conventional tyres, the change in ride, noise, handling, grip and most importantly tram lining, was night and day. RF's just have certain characteristics that in my view ruin all aspects of the drive. No doubting their convenience in terms of getting A to B, but they are not as common a tyre as conventional, so that "convenience" may be tempered when you discover it could take many days to source a replacement.

When the time comes, mine will be changed out for conventional and a can or two of  gloop.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Brian R said:

Just my two pennies worth but when a run flat is driven with no air you would be hard to notice the difference and hence the tyre warning system raison d être. As I may have previously mentioned, I replaced rf's on my BMW for conventional tyres, the change in ride, noise, handling, grip and most importantly tram lining, was night and day. RF's just have certain characteristics that in my view ruin all aspects of the drive. No doubting their convenience in terms of getting A to B, but they are not as common a tyre as conventional, so that "convenience" may be tempered when you discover it could take many days to source a replacement.

When the time comes, mine will be changed out for conventional and a can or two of  gloop.

Aside from the use of gloop, I think you’re absolutely right.  So apart from the ‘convenience of getting from A to B’ in the event of a puncture, RFs don’t seem to have that much going for them.  But how common are punctures anyway?  The last one I can recall having was decades ago and involved a cross ply tyre.

The only tyre problems I have had for years involved a broken valve and a damaged side wall - neither of which, incidentally, would have been rectified by injecting anything.

I wonder if RFs may be a third rate solution to a relatively rare problem?

• Like 4

The new NX will be my first experience of RFs so I'm not sure what to expect. None of the reviews I have read or viewed of the car so far (and I think I've seen them all 😄) have mentioned any adverse impact on the car due to the RFs - quite the opposite in fact with reviewers saying how quiet the car is and how nicely it drives. I'm not overly concerned about punctures because, as others have said, they are extremely rare (famous last words).

I'm prepared to give the RFs the benefit of the doubt for now but if I don't like them, or get a puncture in one early on, I will swap them out for standard tyres and carry a spacesaver. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Andy B said:

The new NX will be my first experience of RFs so I'm not sure what to expect. None of the reviews I have read or viewed of the car so far (and I think I've seen them all 😄) have mentioned any adverse impact on the car due to the RFs - quite the opposite in fact with reviewers saying how quiet the car is and how nicely it drives. I'm not overly concerned about punctures because, as others have said, they are extremely rare (famous last words).

I'm prepared to give the RFs the benefit of the doubt for now but if I don't like them, or get a puncture in one early on, I will swap them out for standard tyres and carry a spacesaver. 

My 2020 UX was my first experience of RF’s in 42 years of driving. I have done 12500 miles on them and have been perfectly happy with them. My added bonus is that no spare gives more boot space.😬

• Like 2

I've had BMW 5 series for the last 15 years that have had run-flat tyres on and I like them. There are more advantages than disadvantages:

1. If a front tyre blows at motorway speed the car remains under full control

2. No need to stop on the hard shoulder - you can continue 50 miles or so until it's safer

3. More boot space

4. Less weight to carry around and so better fuel economy

The downsides are:

1. There's a little more road noise in the cabin

2. Run-flats are a little more expensive

Lexus did tell me that they've done a deal with Stapletons, which is apparently one of the bigger UK tyre wholesalers and so expect the retailers to be able to source them but no retailers seem to have any 235/50 r20 run flat tyres advertised on their web sites. I've never repaired one (never had to) but apparently EVs and to a lesser extent PHEVs do seem to have a reputation for shredding tyres and I'm expecting to have a few issues with them over time. I'll contact my local QuickFit and solicit their comments - I'll let you know when I have an answer.

• Thanks 4

3 hours ago, Gureamu said:

I've had BMW 5 series for the last 15 years that have had run-flat tyres on and I like them. There are more advantages than disadvantages:

1. If a front tyre blows at motorway speed the car remains under full control

2. No need to stop on the hard shoulder - you can continue 50 miles or so until it's safer

3. More boot space

4. Less weight to carry around and so better fuel economy

The downsides are:

1. There's a little more road noise in the cabin

2. Run-flats are a little more expensive

Lexus did tell me that they've done a deal with Stapletons, which is apparently one of the bigger UK tyre wholesalers and so expect the retailers to be able to source them but no retailers seem to have any 235/50 r20 run flat tyres advertised on their web sites. I've never repaired one (never had to) but apparently EVs and to a lesser extent PHEVs do seem to have a reputation for shredding tyres and I'm expecting to have a few issues with them over time. I'll contact my local QuickFit and solicit their comments - I'll let you know when I have an answer.

Black Circles have them in stock.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Don C said:

Black Circles have them in stock.  

None appear as run flats though.

Stapleton's have an online system for dealers so hopefully can be easily checked in Kwik fit or the like. 

They reference Lexus as one of the supported brands and even the franchised dealer (Inchcape) that runs Leicester and others, so we should be good. 

Having a confirmed price would be nice. 

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Caspa said:

None appear as run flats though.

Stapleton's have an online system for dealers so hopefully can be easily checked in Kwik fit or the like. 

They reference Lexus as one of the supported brands and even the franchised dealer (Inchcape) that runs Leicester and others, so we should be good. 

Having a confirmed price would be nice. 

They do if you look at the spec;

36 minutes ago, Don C said:

They do if you look at the spec;

Pirelli don't make the run flat version in that size, it's the noise cancelling ones being sold by BC there. 

https://www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-gb/car/catalogue/product/scorpion-zero-all-season-run-flat

• 3 weeks later...

Two weeks into my ownership of my NX350h with just over 200 miles driven and I can say that so far I haven't experienced any issues with the run flat tyres in terms of ride quality and noise. Everything in that regard feels and sounds like my previous NX with standard tyres - if not better.

Obviously I can't comment on durability and longevity but so far, so good. If and when I need to replace the tyres I'll make a decision then as to whether to replace them with standard tyres but quite happy with them at the moment.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I spoke to KwikFit today and the site manager has asked me to take a photo of my tyre (when I get it) and let him see. He seemed unconvinced that I'd got my facts correct, going on to suggest that driving a car with tyres that are not generally available would be a 'courageous' decision. Fair to say that this wasn't the response that I had hoped for or what was indicated by Lexus marketing. I had been informed that Lexus had an arrangement in place with the UKs largest tyre wholesaler (Stapletons) to supply these tyres but it seems that KwikFit are yet to get onboard with this. It's early yet of course but it's starting to look like we buy tyres directly from Lexus (which I'm sure will be a bargain) or swap to non-run-flat tyres when they need replacing. KwikFit suggested maybe using the self healing tyres.

2 hours ago, Gureamu said:

I spoke to KwikFit today and the site manager has asked me to take a photo of my tyre (when I get it) and let him see. He seemed unconvinced that I'd got my facts correct, going on to suggest that driving a car with tyres that are not generally available would be a 'courageous' decision. Fair to say that this wasn't the response that I had hoped for or what was indicated by Lexus marketing. I had been informed that Lexus had an arrangement in place with the UKs largest tyre wholesaler (Stapletons) to supply these tyres but it seems that KwikFit are yet to get onboard with this. It's early yet of course but it's starting to look like we buy tyres directly from Lexus (which I'm sure will be a bargain) or swap to non-run-flat tyres when they need replacing. KwikFit suggested maybe using the self healing tyres.

These Bridgestone Alenza were on the F Sport demo I had a test drive in. Not found them online but assume this is what Stapleton's will be supplying eventually. 

PXL_20220218_132646404.thumb.jpg.3fcb7e2a92c50b2b979fd5a47a09180d.jpg

11 hours ago, Caspa said:

These Bridgestone Alenza were on the F Sport demo I had a test drive in. Not found them online but assume this is what Stapleton's will be supplying eventually. 

PXL_20220218_132646404.thumb.jpg.3fcb7e2a92c50b2b979fd5a47a09180d.jpg

Thanks Caspa - I'll pop into Kwikfit again today and show them.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links