Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Had a rattle from the drivers headrest for a while so I decided to strip it down, I had the same issue with the passenger side previously so it was much easier this time. 

The two 8mm nuts that hold the adjuster mechanism had worked loose, one fell off completely which was the cause of the rattle, and the other was hanging on by a thread, hardest part was persuading the leather cover off the shell but it's doable.

A selection of tools needed 

IMG_20220613_143810.thumb.jpg.396a3ec47c7c1975593b94e152f95e25.jpg

A few clips and 2 screws hold the two parts of the shell together, once the shell is opened its easy to refit the two nuts and add two lock nuts to prevent them coming loose again. 

IMG_20220613_143446.thumb.jpg.1892860be7d69313b4fde88c4fb450a8.jpg

On the front of the shell there are two screws that need to be removed so that the shell can split, the orange marks are where the bolts that secure the mechanism are, these can be held by a 8mm socket while you tighten the nut on the other side. 

IMG_20220613_143708.thumb.jpg.13c04e41730d5e4b3814d296c8ce0b16.jpg

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Just wanted to thank you for posting this guide. I have just used it to fix a a very loud rattle on the passenger headrest of my GS250, it turned out both nuts had detached and where rattling around inside the headrest.

My question is now it is all back together properly how does the forward/backward adjustment mechanism actually work? The Headrest goes up and down but Im currently not sure how to adjust it any other way and the owners manual isn't clear. Mine is a 2013 F-Sport with the 15 way seats. Thanks. 

• Like 1

Just to add that I didn't add any additional nuts but instead a dab of threadlocker on each bolt and did them up very tight with a ratchet driver. Hopefully that will be enough to prevent them coming loose in future but I will update if not.

If any MK4 GS owners are experiencing mystery rattles from the rear or passenger side of their car it is very likely to be this! Took me a long time to figure out it was coming from the passenger seat. 

• 2 weeks later...

Nice to have been of help, its good to share any tips. 

On my car the fore&aft adjustment is done by pulling the bottom of the headrest foreword till you find the position you want, if you pull it all the way forward it seems to release the adjuster and you can push it all the way back and start again 

• Like 1

On 1/11/2023 at 8:21 PM, Pops1 said:

Nice to have been of help, its good to share any tips. 

On my car the fore&aft adjustment is done by pulling the bottom of the headrest foreword till you find the position you want, if you pull it all the way forward it seems to release the adjuster and you can push it all the way back and start again 

I actually happened to come across your DIY guide whilst tracking down solutions to a really annoying rattle. When going over a bump I'd have plastic sounding rattles and sometimes a metallic knocking sound that I realize now must have been the completely detached headrest mount knocking against the plastic. Had I not found your DIY guide I would not have even thought to look at the headrest (had already ruled out the other most common causes of the Sunroof and Sunshade). Since applying the fix my GS is now rattle free and like a bank vault on wheels so you've really done me a favor by sharing your guide. My thanks again. 

p.s interestingly the inside plastic of my headrest was all black instead of the cream colour in your pics. May be something to do with me having the blonde leather interior instead of black. 

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links