Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Replacement Lexus 7” Media Display Repair Kit.

I’m reeling from the shock of the quote for this part, plus replacement labour. A few months ago, I had the car detailed. The sat nav screen had been wiped with something that left it scratched all over. This morning I phoned my local dealership (Johnsons)  for a quote. I was told £2,676.56.

‘For just a screen?’ I said to the guy. I then told him that Lexus parts sell them on line for just £88.64 in a kit.

But, no matter, he was adamant that just replacing the scratched screen cover would cost me an arm and a leg. I’ve asked for a quote from another Lexus dealership. Bit further to travel, but I shall waits and see what they quote.

I could upgrade my car for that extra amount. I’m amazed as the lass on the reception told me that she’d dealt with something similar a couple of years ago and it didn’t cost a great deal to replace.

By scratched do you mean the UV coating is coming off?
If thats the case just take the screen out and use Meguirs PlastX or as some members have suggested even baby wipe to just remove the UV coating.

50 minutes ago, agent_dess said:

By scratched do you mean the UV coating is coming off?
If thats the case just take the screen out and use Meguirs PlastX or as some members have suggested even baby wipe to just remove the UV coating.

Thank you for replying. The surface of the screen has these unsightly scratches across it. I’m not confident enough to remove screens, but might consider polishing off the surface protector if that will cure it. 
I’m still waiting for a call back from another Lexus dealership. 
Definitrly, the repair kit is available. I’m beginning to think that the dealership which I’ve approached are not interested in the job, which with labour should only come to a couple of hundred quid or so. 

10 minutes ago, Tony1452 said:

Thank you for replying. The surface of the screen has these unsightly scratches across it. I’m not confident enough to remove screens, but might consider polishing off the surface protector if that will cure it. 
I’m still waiting for a call back from another Lexus dealership. 
Definitrly, the repair kit is available. I’m beginning to think that the dealership which I’ve approached are not interested in the job, which with labour should only come to a couple of hundred quid or so. 

Whether its scratches or UV coating coming off, polish it out using Maguires PlastX it specially designed for scratch removal from plastics

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, agent_dess said:

Whether its scratches or UV coating coming off, polish it out using Maguires PlastX it specially designed for scratch removal from plastics

Cheers! Will give that a go. At least it won’t cost me the ridiculous sum of £2,675. It’s all over the internet that there is a reasonably priced kit for replacing the screen. I enquired at another dealership and quoted the part number and cost. I was told that I would receive a call from the parts dept. I’m still waiting. 
Anyway, it’s not an emergency. I can live with it for now.

Ive used plastX mainly for headlight restoration, but I've also used on other plastic parts that were scratched, like the gear selector display on centre console comes out scratch free.

Alternatively you can buy  replacement screen from Lexus Parts Direct for £88. 

Or order form Amayama for £40 delivered from UAE 

Part number is: 86134-53030

On 7/11/2022 at 6:24 PM, agent_dess said:

Ive used plastX mainly for headlight restoration, but I've also used on other plastic parts that were scratched, like the gear selector display on centre console comes out scratch free.

Alternatively you can buy  replacement screen from Lexus Parts Direct for £88. 

Or order form Amayama for £40 delivered from UAE 

Part number is: 86134-53030

Thanks Dess, I am aware of that, it’s my local Lexus dealership who clearly fobbed me off with a ridiculous request for £2670. 
So far I’ve had good service from Lexus, but not on this occasion. 

• Like 1

That’s crazy Tony. I literally have no idea how they could have arrived at that figure. I had the same problem with mine. The screen is fine, it’s just the anti glare coating that’s started to come off. I just used a standard household wet wipe on mine. Bit of rubbing and it just all came off. Didn’t even bother to remove the screen from the car. Looks great now and I’ve not had any difficulty with being able to see the screen in direct sunlight. Made me wonder why they even had the coating on there in the first place. 

13 hours ago, CypressPhil said:

That’s crazy Tony. I literally have no idea how they could have arrived at that figure. I had the same problem with mine. The screen is fine, it’s just the anti glare coating that’s started to come off. I just used a standard household wet wipe on mine. Bit of rubbing and it just all came off. Didn’t even bother to remove the screen from the car. Looks great now and I’ve not had any difficulty with being able to see the screen in direct sunlight. Made me wonder why they even had the coating on there in the first place. 

Thanks Phil. You are correct, the quote was crazy. I think the guy I spoke to was simply fobbing me off, but why, baffles me.

I’ve since received a quote for the part and fitting from another Lexus dealership. They want for  parts and Labour a total of just a few pence short of £280. I shall give it a clean first and see how I get on. I’ve also bought a BroTect screen protector for 7” screens. I shall put that on after. It only cost me a fiver and as it’s made in Germany it arrived from Austria.

Thanks for replying to me.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links