Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2015 30k miles IS300h service advice

With low mileage servicing gets complicated. My last service was an interim. In theory I should be due a full, the car has not reached 60k, so spark plugs still not due yet. Also my pollen and Air filters are not very old and upon inspection still look clean/new.

However, it's 2 years since the last brake fluid change and it is 4 years (and almost 20k) since the last differential oil change, so both of these due.

Does anyone know how the pricing works? Like is it more cost effective to book another interim and add the brake fluid and diff oil change as extras, or would those items be included (or work out cheaper) if they are included as part of an 80k major service?

Of course I will call Lexus but in the past they either have struggled to understand the servicing needs of my/a lower mileage vehicle or have simply defaulted to push for the most expensive option (last time pushing for me to change sparks at 6 years when they are only on a mileage and not an age related service schedule i.e. i have done half the expected mileage for the vehicle age).

Thanks all for your wise words...

Screenshot_20220731-202518_Chrome.jpg

20210823_214036_IMG_7592.JPG

Have you tried to ask for "Essential Care" rather than standard service? Lexus no longer has it officially, but some dealers does it if you insist... and that is quite good price. Something like £180 for intermediate service, which then would make sense to add other items you want done and still get everything done cheaper than full 80k miles service. Otherwise, I think there will be no difference in price whenever you got 80k miles full or if you go 70K miles intermediate + diff oil + brake fluid. As well I am not sure full service even include these items, strangely Lexus now changed the site in the way that is more difficult to find what is actually included in which service.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Maxz said:

However, it's 2 years since the last brake fluid change and it is 4 years (and almost 20k) since the last differential oil change, so both of these due.

Brake fluid yes (absorbs water from the atmosphere regardless of mileage), Diff Oil no.

But you may find you have to follow the Lexus schedule to stay within the Relax warranty scheme.

• Thanks 1

Agree on the warranty part, they will likely insist on the full service being booked.

I will ask about Essential Care as had that 2 years ago, but I expect they will state no Relax warranty comes with it.

Given the age of the vehicle and the lack of transparency + faff + rigidity of dealer servicing, I will likely make this my last Lexus service (bar doing an annual hybrid check for the Battery warranty). Highly rigid and limited option servicing structures just don't work well, for something that people drive a variable number of miles, where certain parts (eg spark plugs) are not due based on age.

• 2 months later...

Just to update, Lexus changed their pricing, so that a 60k service cost is now £75 less at £550 and an 80k £75 more, so also now at £550.

So may sound mad, but you might as well go for a 60k instead of an 80k each time, get a brand new set of sparks "for free", as it costs the exact same as a full service without them! Check all the items included 60k versus 80k on the Lexus website and let me know if I have got this wrong? 🤔

Screenshot_20220813-143422_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220813-143459_Chrome.jpg

On 10/13/2022 at 10:54 PM, Maxz said:

So may sound mad, but you might as well go for a 60k instead of an 80k each time, get a brand new set of sparks "for free", as it costs the exact same as a full service without them!

Yes crazy isn't it. Although if you did that you would never get a new air filter at that is only replaced every 40k miles 😉

Seems as if Lexus want a simplified standard service cost, but charging £550 for a 20k miles initial full service, which isn't really anything more than a minor oil change and a look around, is obscene.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2022 at 8:54 AM, ColinBarber said:

Yes crazy isn't it. Although if you did that you would never get a new air filter at that is only replaced every 40k miles 😉

Seems as if Lexus want a simplified standard service cost, but charging £550 for a 20k miles initial full service, which isn't really anything more than a minor oil change and a look around, is obscene.

Good spot on the air filter part. The cost of parts and labour of an air filter vs. full set of sparkplugs fitted, clearly one is better value at £550 as part of a full service than the other! 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links