Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Issues after changing ATF on 3rd gen GS450h

zeczec

Good day. 

After having a check hybrid system error, with DTC code p2797-865, I honed in on the problem and that was that the bearings on the auxiliary transmission pump had siezed, so I changed them (as per Hayne's brilliant write-up on a different thread). Thankfully it fixed the problem and my hybrid system is now back.

However, I've noticed 2 things that are a bit different this time. Firstly, there's a slight murming sound coming from the said pump when in operation. It's quiet but it is noticeable when I've got the windows all the way down and it's in EV mode. I don't mind it, but I do notice it. Secondly, the shifts from the low speed CVT to the high speed CVT (which happens around 65mph) have been fantastic and more rapid than ever, except the last couple of times just 4 days ago and yesterday where the car got stuck at 65mph for around 2 seconds before jerking up to the high speed CVT, allowing me to go faster. Very strange. 

At this point I think it's worth mentioning here, that a lot of the posts are quoting 5L as the rough requirement for ATF to refill the system. However, when I was doing the re-fill, after just 3L, it started to over-flow through the overflow check hole. I had kept the ATF bottles submerged in a water bath to keep them at roughly 35 degrees C before doing the re-fill. Once it was "full", I closed both the refill and the overflow check hole, and that was that. I've got 2 bottles unused (having only needed 3). I'm now half thinking, that because the pump and its hoses were empty, as soon as I started the car, some fluid level was now lost to the pump and that I should now repeat the fluid refill proceduce as a top-up move. I'm keen to know what others think. Also, could there be air in the system? If so, how would one bleed it?

Another thing I noticed is, the central console from inside the cabin, in particular the heated/ventilated seats control panel, seems to be getting quite warm - not sure if this is related.

I appreciate your time.

16 hours ago, steve2006 said:

I would certainly recheck the level as the first course of action, from my Rover 825 days I understand correct fluid levels are critical for reliable operation.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm keen to do it but am looking for a bit of guidance as I've heard that techstream is needed (which I have incidentally) but not sure how to use it and for what in this case.

Whenever the automatic transmission oil is drained, you fill in with half a  litre more than the amount drained. Normally about 3.5 litres drains out, about half the capacity.

Then you circulate the oil with the engine on maintenance mode, through the gears twice, remaning 5 seconds at each one.

Drain the excess oil through the overflow plug between 30C and 40C oil temperature.

Make sure you have no " line pressure " code. If you do have, the oil level is wrong and you must repeat the process again.

Chris.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links