Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Climate Control Screen Scuffs

SRVO

Hi all,

This seems to be a common theme with these climate control units, however I was wondering if anyone has found a solution to remove the scratches/scuffs, or at least make them less noticeable?

The easiest option I thought would be to replace the unit from a breakers yard as they're only £20-£40, however even the units from newer CTs have the same marks on them.

Climate Control Screen.jpg

59 minutes ago, Sofa table said:

Polishing compound and a microfibre cloth maybe? I've been meaning to do it myself but haven't just gotten around to it since mine isn't too bad.

I'm guessing this stuff will do the trick, however it looks like there is an anti-glare coating on the plastic screen which makes me wonder if it'll do more harm than good. If someone has tried this already and had success (or not), it would be great to know before I attempt it 😄

https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-PlastX-Plastic-Cleaner-Polish/dp/B0000AY3SR?th=1

17 hours ago, SRVO said:

I'm guessing this stuff will do the trick, however it looks like there is an anti-glare coating on the plastic screen which makes me wonder if it'll do more harm than good. If someone has tried this already and had success (or not), it would be great to know before I attempt it 😄

https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-PlastX-Plastic-Cleaner-Polish/dp/B0000AY3SR?th=1

It usually tends to be the anti glare coating that gets scratched up

Meguiars PlastX will be great on it and will remove the coating. You shouldnt have any signficant glare issues, especially on a small section like that.

I removed the anti-glare coating on our IS300h Nav screen when we had it as it had marks on it like yours does and had no problems.

4 hours ago, rayaans said:

It usually tends to be the anti glare coating that gets scratched up

Meguiars PlastX will be great on it and will remove the coating. You shouldnt have any signficant glare issues, especially on a small section like that.

I removed the anti-glare coating on our IS300h Nav screen when we had it as it had marks on it like yours does and had no problems.

Thanks @rayaans that's reassuring to know! I'll buy some, give it a try and will report back 🤞

15 minutes ago, Las Palmas said:

If it is the protective film it should be easy just to take that off? Reflections would come near the middle of the dashboard.

Or is that film impossible to just take off?

image.thumb.png.de58b463b69ff538882a60c912e44c9f.png

Is there such a film on this too?

There's no film on the climate control screen, just a coating. It does look like there's a film on the sat nav screen though - I've been wondering whether to take this off too, although I've made that mistake with a new tv screen before (and broke it 🤦‍♂️)

1 hour ago, SRVO said:

There's no film on the climate control screen, just a coating. It does look like there's a film on the sat nav screen though - I've been wondering whether to take this off too, although I've made that mistake with a new tv screen before (and broke it 🤦‍♂️)

On my wife's NX, the anti glare on the sat nav screen got damaged by a valeting company using silicon spray on the screen which lifted the coating at the edges and had one scratch right through the middle!  This resulted in me buying a can of said spray, and removing the coating from the whole screen.   For me, it made absolutely no difference at all to usability/reflections/sunlight and it got rid of the scratches!  I'm glad that the anti-glare coatings you get on glasses are a lot more robust than the coatings on Lexus sat nav screens!

Paul

769544011_balexus.thumb.png.c33a53545cf36b212abcc1a042c86690.png

VERDICT: It worked! I can confirm it has completely removed the anti-glare coating (no more purple tint) but it doesn't seem to affect anything. A few minor scratches remain which I'll remove when I spend more time on it, however this result was achieved in just 5-10 minutes and there is a huge improvement.

A couple of things to note if you're going to try it yourself:
- I used masking tape around the edges of the screen to prevent it getting on the rest of the unit.
- I only used a small amount of liquid at a time (pea sized amount on a microfibre cloth, moving in all directions).
- I avoided rubbing the white text above the buttons as I wasn't sure if it would remove them (it probably wouldn't, but better safe than sorry).

Thanks everyone for your help and advice 👍

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SRVO said:

769544011_balexus.thumb.png.c33a53545cf36b212abcc1a042c86690.png

VERDICT: It worked! I can confirm it has completely removed the anti-glare coating (no more purple tint) but it doesn't seem to affect anything. A few minor scratches remain which I'll remove when I spend more time on it, however this result was achieved in just 5-10 minutes and there is a huge improvement.

A couple of things to note if you're going to try it yourself:
- I used masking tape around the edges of the screen to prevent it getting on the rest of the unit.
- I only used a small amount of liquid at a time (pea sized amount on a microfibre cloth, moving in all directions).
- I avoided rubbing the white text above the buttons as I wasn't sure if it would remove them (it probably wouldn't, but better safe than sorry).

Thanks everyone for your help and advice 👍

Splendid! Did you end up using the Mequiar's stuff?

13 minutes ago, Sofa table said:

Splendid! Did you end up using the Mequiar's stuff?

I did, yes. Hopefully I'll find a use for the rest of the bottle at some point as this little job didn't require much at all. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links