Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Steering Wheel lock/arm

Paul V

I have recently brought an ES as a replacement to my RX, which was stolen (two in the same street on the same night😒). I'm keen to add an extra deterrent and fit a steering wheel lock/arm. 

Is there a particular model which anyone would recommend?\

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Moleman said:

Amazing how poor some of the locks appear to be.

It is!

Good makes, expensive ones, cheap ones... it's a shame. I've yet to 'find' one I think I could trust.

I've toyed with the idea of a chain and a decent, quality padlock, but can't get my head round how it would work, practically. 

1 hour ago, Moleman said:

Amazing how poor some of the locks appear to be.

e.g.

The top pick:

"Fitted this to my steering wheel. Came back to the car late at night, the lock refused to open - key refused to come out. Stuck. Called the AA at 11.30pm - at 2am, someone came. Got the casing off and got the remains of the key out of the lock, it had snapped in half. But unable to open the lock. I had to 'sleep' in my car overnight and await an AA recovery vehicle at 9am the next morning. Got home, a drop of 3in1 oil in the lock and put the spare key in, it opened. Would never use this product again after that. As for the ten year guarantee, all my attempts to communicate with Saxon Brands have been met with silence. No reply at all. So quite what the guarantee is for?"

I don't use anything on my ES other than engaging the dead-locks and keeping the key relatively safe from scanning but I live in a very, at least so far, low crime area and don't envisage a booming ES parts market. My '75 BMW and '67 Triumph lack the robust anti-theft features of the ES and I've used Disklok on those for more than 5 years without any issues. The locks are rather cumbersome and wouldn't stop any serious scumbags but are, in my view, an effective deterrent to opportunists.

It sounds like any determined thief will take the car regardless. However, a steer lock may deter the opportunist. Probably worth the odd £50 outlay.

Thanks for your comments.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links