Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS300H rear suspension advice needed

Hi all,

Looking for some help please, identifying the damaged part and a rough cost of repair or replacement? Also how big a job is it? Wheel is currently tilted sideways after an impact so in desperate need of some knowledge and help! Thanks

wide.jpg

closeup.jpg

Apologies for the bad pictures and lack of details. I've circled "badly" the part that the bolt through has damaged on the left rear. 

I know it's lacking in detail, I'll update more tomorrow. Just tired of googling after a long day after this happened and need some sleep now. Fingers crossed I wake up to some helpful people here 😉

circled.jpg

Hope your alright! How did it happen?

Its a tricky one complex setup you need it on a ramp to properly see the damage.

If you have damaged the Subframe looking on eBay they go for around £200.

Then factor in the following connected components:

- Upper & lower control control arms with ball joints

- Wheel bearing

- ABS sensor 

- Shock asborber & top mounts

- Anti roll bar & drop link

- Coil spring may be ok

- Wheel alignment 100%

- Alloy wheel & new tyre?

- * Potentially damaged driveshaft & differential if your saying wheel is bent, as its a rear wheel drive!

Conservative Estimate easily upwards of £1000-2000 (used parts from the breakers or ebay) if you include labour. 

You can spend all that but you will not be guaranteed it will drive straight afterwards. As you dont know what else is bent.

My suggestion would be go through insurance? 

20221224_050035.jpg

Good morning fellow F-Sporter.

Thanks so much for the reply and concern. I'm ok thanks, just my now and my wallet at this time of year. Much appreciated you taking the time to reply also during this time 😉

Driving in the rain, 4 brand new premium tyres, round a bend at normal speed and the car slide completely sideways, losing all traction. No lights or airbags deployed but it took some belt off the kerb. I was expecting a puncture as I came to a stop, but shocked to see the damage caused, unfortunately.

Ah ok, it's the full subframe, I was hoping it was a part that was attached to the subframe. Would you have any idea of the part number please so I can try see what a used would be? I was hoping it would be a part that is shared with a popular Toyota, but doesn't seem to be the case? That's a comprehensive list thanks and fair play for totting it up and giving a rough estimate.

Like you said, the fear is the work done, out of my own pocket, and I still end up with a car I love that's not quite right.

I've never had a claim before but again listening to your advice, it may be the road I have to go down. My fear with this is that the insurance might consider the car a write off? I'd be devastated to loose her. If it's an insurance job and down to the highest standard, I presume with genuine new parts, would you have any idea what that may come too at an authorised repair centre, please?

Any help would be really appreciated as I feel like I've ruined Christmas for the family with this financial and logistical nightmare!

I expect a big price if new subframe and the rest, so hence my questions and apprehensive that she may just be wrote off. What category damage would you reckon it would be classed at? I know it's very hard to say without the full picture and a lift but a ballpark would be great. Zero damage to bodywork, car only fully serviced as always with Lexus a couple of months ago, which makes it all the more sickening. 

Thanks again and whenever you get the chance to get back to me would be great as I'm sure you're flat out today of all days! Hope you and yours are safe and Merry Christmas!

Do you have any more pics to see the damage?

You know what these these things happen dont be so hard on yourself take a breather stop for a second & reflect it was out of your control 4 new tyres vs most likely an oil spill/ice on the road it can happen anywhere to anybody. You walked away from it so thank God you live to tell the tail & spend time with the family for Christmas it could have been much worse. 

In regards to cost if your fully comp your insurance excess will typically be £250 check your policy though. Claim thats what insurance is for? if your no claims bonus is protected you shouldnt loose them & also keep in mind any claim you have to declare for the next 5 years regardless of fault or not so your premium might go up at renewal around £100 a year so at worst your out of pocket over the next 5 years if including your excess by approx £750 but you get paid out market value for the car. Just swallow the pill & soldier on got to move on. Same thing would happen in a hit & run scenario unpredictable when this sort of shizzle occurs.

Insurance will most likely write it off as they wont want to chance repairing it & for it to still be faulty & for obvious reasons like liability if an accident occurs as a result of a repair. These cars are not uncommon to find so take your payout & just buy another or explore your options the SUV versions in Lexus range look quite tasty.

Re buying  subframe sorry I dont have exact part numbers but extensive research on google will tell you. Just be careful with buying used parts as there was a revision to the suspension from 2016/2017 models (couldnt tell you what) facelift has improved suspsenion. New parts from Lexus will work out very expensive.

Until a reputable mechanic sees it very difficult to say but an honest one will advise you they can only repair what they see, if another component is damaged not visible to the eye by mm believe me your car will not feel right especially at high speed.

All the best mate Merry Christmas & Happy New Year.

:rockon: 2023.

• Thanks 1

You certainly need a new rear subframe. 

If it was mine I'd fire in a second hand one complete with lower arms and left hub assembly.

The rest of the components such as drives diff and shock will be fine.

It's not a massive job and a good mechanic should be able to do it in half a day.

Biggest hastle is removing and reattaching handbrake cables.

Can't say if the rim will need attention but bin the tyre regardless of how it looks 

• Thanks 1

On 12/24/2022 at 7:48 AM, James78 said:

Driving in the rain, 4 brand new premium tyres, round a bend at normal speed and the car slide completely sideways, losing all traction. No lights or airbags deployed but it took some belt off the kerb. I was expecting a puncture as I came to a stop, but shocked to see the damage caused, unfortunately.

Would be great if you could share which tyres these are so that the rest of us can avoid these ditch finders. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Notamech said:

Would be great if you could share which tyres these are so that the rest of us can avoid these ditch finders. 

Brand new tyres - if the OP means literally driving from having them fitted - can have reduced grip until they are scrubbed in a bit regardless of brand. And probably even more prone to this in cold / wet conditions. Everytime I get new tyres fitted at my Lexus dealer they remind me of this.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for all the replies and kind words plus help. I had to put it to the back of my mind since everywhere was closed over the festive period and I didn't want it to ruin the season..

The tyres were Goodyear Eagle F1's Asymmetrical 6. Unfortunately never scrubbed in.

Now I'm on the hunt to fix the car and put the actual incident behind me, I'd really appreciate some help again please.

What's the difference between a 2015 f-sport and standard rear suspension? Is it just the shocks and springs or is there any other differences, as I'm looking to buy a back end from a breakers.

Cheers and thanks again.

There doesn't seem to be any difference F-Sport versus Standard, but others can opine if they know different. There is a difference it seems based on manufacture date (but I am not sure what exactly is different).

Below is for LH side (assume you only clipped the one side?) and for the June 2014 to Oct 2016 manufacturimg period.

Might be worth reconciling any part numbers printed on your vehicle suspension versus what you are buying. Unfortunately seems my resource only includes torques and no part numbers as I first thought ☹️

Screenshot_20230106_191649_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230106_191714_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230106_191727_Chrome.jpg

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links