Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is the P0340 error code expensive to fix.

As the title suggests, after nearly 4 years of trouble free wafting this error has surfaced. 

Initially the dash lights were showing a yellow engine light plus a yellow vsc error. I took it straight to my usual mechanic who then read it with a scanning tool. It came up with the P0340 as well as the vsc. 

By this time the car was sounding like an old diesel which it is not (2006 Rx350). 

I got the AA to flatbed it back home where it now sits. My Mechanic advised me to try and find a local lexus/Toyota indie as he feels that he would end up chasing errors and I'm not convinced I want to spend too much as the car has 142000 on the clock plus the reason I have the car was to ferry my disabled wife around who passed away last year, so probably better off looking for something a bit more practical. 

It's such a shame as I do love it. Any ideas if I will be wasting my time and money trying to fix. I don't think the parts are particularly expensive, if it is indeed just the camshaft position sensors. Had a similar problem with a grand voyager a few years back and that ended up being a try it and see which in the end started getting expensive. Any advice would be gratefully received. 

Cheers, Col. 😭

• Sad 1

Col.

I am not familiar with these engines. I have looked at the Haynes workshop manual. It says that the 3.5 litre V6 engine has 4 camshaft position sensors which are located on the back side of the VVT-i controllers (which are mounted on the left ends of the intake camshafts). The description of fault code P0340 is "Camshaft position sensor or circuit fault". It could be a faulty sensor or a wiring problem. It would need a mechanic with diagnostic equipment to narrow down the problem to one sensor or wire.

Sorry this is not much help, but I have no experience of these engines.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Try it and see" is indeed a path to expense! Find a technician who'll diagnose it rather than guessing. Probably not more than an hour's labour to diagnose and then you'll know where you stand.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links