Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sat Nav Over the Air Update Problems

I have a 2022 RX450h, built in late 2021.

It came with 2021 maps. The brochure when we bought the car promised over the air map updates. The UK handbook says it has over the air updates. The car allows over the air updates (well attempts them) and the Lexus app / user portal offers over the air updates, and you can even change the regions.

Well it doesn't work and the Main Dealer is saying they don't think my car has this feature !?

The  car has pretty much always said there is an update available (2022 v1). It downloads the update, installs it then comes up with this: Unable to complete...full map update required.

So I take the car to the dealer for them to do the full update. They have the car for 3.5 hours (including a first service). They tell me they've done the update.

On the way home I decide to check and the maps are still 2021 v2 and the car still wants to update to 2022 v1....So I let it attempt the update, surely the dealer has fixed the problem even if they didn't update the map...nope the whole update takes around an hour...and fails...

Anyone else either got this problem, or are finding the over the air updates work fine for them? 

I know I can use Android Auto, Google Maps, Waze and Here maps, but when we're towing a caravan it's a whole lot better to have the destination set in the car sat nav for those rural locations where there is no internet.

Nav_update_fail.jpg

1 hour ago, JasonH said:

I have a 2022 RX450h, built in late 2021.

It came with 2021 maps. The brochure when we bought the car promised over the air map updates. The UK handbook says it has over the air updates. The car allows over the air updates (well attempts them) and the Lexus app / user portal offers over the air updates, and you can even change the regions.

Well it doesn't work and the Main Dealer is saying they don't think my car has this feature !?

The  car has pretty much always said there is an update available (2022 v1). It downloads the update, installs it then comes up with this: Unable to complete...full map update required.

So I take the car to the dealer for them to do the full update. They have the car for 3.5 hours (including a first service). They tell me they've done the update.

On the way home I decide to check and the maps are still 2021 v2 and the car still wants to update to 2022 v1....So I let it attempt the update, surely the dealer has fixed the problem even if they didn't update the map...nope the whole update takes around an hour...and fails...

Anyone else either got this problem, or are finding the over the air updates work fine for them? 

I know I can use Android Auto, Google Maps, Waze and Here maps, but when we're towing a caravan it's a whole lot better to have the destination set in the car sat nav for those rural locations where there is no internet.

Nav_update_fail.jpg

Best not to use OTA map updates as they break speed camera notifications (you will see several threads about that on this site).  Much better to download the whole map database to usb stick and update from that. Then you have all the maps updated and not just the UK ones... And speed camera warnings will work!

Instructions for doing a full maps update can be found here:

Paul

• Like 1

A couple of years ago I found on internet I think on lexus.eu or something like that a place where I could register car and found an update for it. Downloaded and put it on USB stick. Tried to install, but never managed. On following service, I had the USB stick and asked if Lexus could install it and no problems. Except that when collecting the car from service they said that there are no updates for the car. Think that Lexus software differ a lot from Lexus hardware. One is close to perfect and one is not functioning.

Forgot where I found the update and am not really interested in wasting time updating something that may be nothing as long as the car functions perfect, and it absolutely does.

For new maps Lexus wants more than 150€ and the maps (SD-micro) can be bought on eBay for less than 40£. Anyway, navigation is like much other software in car far below quality of smartphones (and Garmin) and so stupid to use that there is no reason to update; tried it and the car wants first to know which country we are in, then city, before finally allowing to insert the street wanted and then showing the way asked for, so navigation from Lexus in the car we have is useless; also Bluetooth is a very old version that cannot transfer audio in lossless, actually in no better quality than MP3, even though it has a really fine Mark Levinson audio system. If it is better in new models I doubt, seeing the computer knowledge the personnel in Lexus here have.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone, especially PDM.

I had previously seen reference to lost speed camera warnings and the possibility of a USB update but when I looked it seemed to be only for MM17.

I even went to lexus-tech.eu and it redirected me to lexus.co.uk. Logged into lexus.co.uk it only offers Over The Air Updates.

Armed with the guide above and the mention that MM17 and MM19 maps are the same, I registered with lexus-tech.eu. Initially in the Free section I couldn't find any MM19 maps...but in the Payable section I found MM17/MM19 maps. 

I followed the instructions, struggled a bit with the device ID and Request code...why do they use 0,O,o and I,i,L,l and 1 (that's zero, capital O, small o, the letter I, capital and lower case, the letter L, capital and lower case and the number 1)!

And around 2 hours later it's all done. 

Downloading13.2GB, unzipping it and writing it to a USB took a while. The car took around 70 mins.

Thank you very much.

SnipImage.JPG

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JasonH said:

I had previously seen reference to lost speed camera warnings and the possibility of a USB update but when I looked it seemed to be only for MM17.

I even went to lexus-tech.eu and it redirected me to lexus.co.uk. Logged into lexus.co.uk it only offers Over The Air Updates.

Armed with the guide above and the mention that MM17 and MM19 maps are the same, I registered with lexus-tech.eu. Initially in the Free section I couldn't find any MM19 maps...but in the Payable section I found MM17/MM19 maps. 

I followed the instructions, struggled a bit with the device ID and Request code...why do they use 0,O,o and I,i,L,l and 1 (that's zero, capital O, small o, the letter I, capital and lower case, the letter L, capital and lower case and the number 1)!

Downloading13.2GB, unzipping it and writing it to a USB took a while. The car took around 70 mins.

Thank you very much.

SnipImage.JPG

Totally agree - the fonts used make certain letters and numbers very easy to mix up!

Congrats on getting it sorted.

Paul

1 hour ago, JasonH said:

Thank you very much.

SnipImage.JPG

Incidentally, give it a few weeks and 2023v1 will be released and you can do it all again!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links