Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fuel gauge reading?

beyond the blue

I'm not one for running down my tank normally but today l started a journey with the needle fractionally above the quarter mark after only 22 miles of motorway use the needle was on the bottom, not at all consistent with the other quarter increments of the gauge. Now l know I'll certainly not let that happen again. I've had other cars with a quick drop off but wouldn't have thought a Lexus would do it.

I noticed the same thing, I never go below a quarter of a tank if I can help it however I let it drop  last year before I set off on a journey with the intention of filling up at my destination, a journey I do often, can’t remember what range I had left but it was than enough, however the range started dropping quite quickly and when I filled up if I remember the range was something like 5 or 10 miles!! The good news is I only managed to squeeze about 44 litres in meaning there was over a gallon left which is obviously more like 50 miles

My first drive in Betsy was a very squeaky bum moment. For those who don't know, my IS300h had been recalled for a fuel pump replacement. It was the time where refineries were being barricaded by those eco loonies and petrol was like rocking horse poo. I needed to get back to Peterborough and Lexus Leicester had only given me 45 miles of fuel according to Betsy's fuel computer. All the petrol stations from Leicester to Peterborough were dry except (thankfully) this station on the A47 at Morcott. I could have hugged the proprietor. The return journey was a more spirited affair, what with her having a third of a tank of petrol to enjoy. What happened next of course is history.

image.thumb.png.55d54661be8e5f1cd83e7be5681b7316.png

• 2 weeks later...

From quite a bit of experience... if you fill the car to full you will get around 100 miles before the needle starts to drop - probably a bit less unless you have brimmed it. The range drops quicker on the countdown once the warning comes on so if it says you have 30 miles, you don't get 30 miles before refuel appears. Once you are 'empty' you have around a gallon left, probably around 5 litres as I have never filled over 46 litres to full even after doing 20 miles on empty...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links