Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fifth Gear Recharged

Anybody watch this this week? either Lexus decided to kick themselves in the teeth or the programme was biased against them. Four hybrid cars put through their test. Volvo, Hyundai and Skoda and a Lexus RX. Only issue was the other three were 2023 models and the Lexus RX 2019. The Lexus was kicked out within seconds described as out dated and poor Battery power. To be honest the Lexus looked scruffy. If Lexus supplied the vehicle they did their selves a disservice. If the programme did it was unfair.

It’s not a programme that I regularly watch as I’m not in the market for a new car.  But I might catch it on Catch-Up now you’ve been good enough to highlight it.

Certainly, dismissing a four year older model on the basis that it’s not as modern does seem a bit perverse!  It obviously didn’t come from Lexus PR, and possibly not even a Dealer, as both would have undoubtedly prepared it better.  So it may well have been borrowed from a private owner.

I would expect that anyone contemplating buying any of these four would conduct their own test drives anyway.  Personally, I only ever regard car testers as offering a guide to what’s currently available.  Their comments are usually far removed from the real-life concerns of drivers spending their own money!

• Like 1

I don’t mind Fifth Gear these days. They’ve stopped trying to copy Top Gear and gone back to being a straightforward motoring programme. 

But I agree - putting a 2019 car up against 3 brand new ones seems unfair unless they wanted - and were clear that they wanted - to show how much progress has been made in just three and a bit years. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dave 2951 said:

Anybody watch this this week? either Lexus decided to kick themselves in the teeth or the programme was biased against them. Four hybrid cars put through their test. Volvo, Hyundai and Skoda and a Lexus RX. Only issue was the other three were 2023 models and the Lexus RX 2019. The Lexus was kicked out within seconds described as out dated and poor battery power. To be honest the Lexus looked scruffy. If Lexus supplied the vehicle they did their selves a disservice. If the programme did it was unfair.

It was the UX and full EVs on test, so thought it was pretty fair, as not their best work or strong point in general at the moment I'd say. 

On 2/26/2023 at 2:32 PM, Dave 2951 said:

Anybody watch this this week? either Lexus decided to kick themselves in the teeth or the programme was biased against them. Four hybrid cars put through their test. Volvo, Hyundai and Skoda and a Lexus RX. Only issue was the other three were 2023 models and the Lexus RX 2019. The Lexus was kicked out within seconds described as out dated and poor battery power. To be honest the Lexus looked scruffy. If Lexus supplied the vehicle they did their selves a disservice. If the programme did it was unfair.

Sorry should say EX not RX 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links