Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Windoze install switches

Just found this Rodders,

"NOTE: In Windows 98, the "/p j" switch is required to enable ACPI support. Windows 98 maintains a BIOS list for ACPI computers, so as BIOS manufacturers create a new valid ACPI BIOS, this is the mechanism for causing Windows 98 to recognize it. "

So if ACPI is disabled in the BIOS you shouldn't have any probs.

Originally posted by Jimmy Ten Toes

Rodders,

I don't think windows 98se installs ACPI by default. Windows installs APM by default and ACPI only if you use the / p J switch.

I think this is right.

Make sure you go into the BIOS and disable ACPI there aswell.

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply Jimmy - but that's not right mate.

W98 will install ACPI by default if it's enabled in the BIOS. I can't disable ACPI in my BIOS (Abit KG7-RAID) so I need the switch to turn it off - I know for sure the switch exists - I've just forgotten what it is.

Originally posted by fluff34567

aaaggghhhh! computer speak please explain the ACPI pj stuff for me please - dont get me wong if mine goes down i can fiddle and fix it but unsure about the tech jargon side :(

Rob

ACPI stands for Advanced Configuration and Power Interface. It's to do with the way devices are managed under windows and it's pants on a desktop!!!

I quote

"ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) is an open industry specification co-developed by Compaq, Intel, Microsoft, Phoenix, and Toshiba.

ACPI establishes industry-standard interfaces for OS-directed configuration and power management on laptops, desktops, and servers.

ACPI evolves the existing collection of power management BIOS code, Advanced Power Management (APM) application programming interfaces (APIs, PNPBIOS APIs, Multiprocessor Specification (MPS) tables and so on into a well-defined power management and configuration interface specification.

The specification enables new power management technology to evolve independently in operating systems and hardware while ensuring that they continue to work together."

Boring eh!

I quote

"ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) is an open industry specification co-developed by Compaq, Intel, Microsoft, Phoenix, and Toshiba.

ACPI establishes industry-standard interfaces for OS-directed configuration and power management on laptops, desktops, and servers.

ACPI evolves the existing collection of power management BIOS code, Advanced Power Management (APM) application programming interfaces (APIs, PNPBIOS APIs, Multiprocessor Specification (MPS) tables and so on into a well-defined power management and configuration interface specification.

The specification enables new power management technology to evolve independently in operating systems and hardware while ensuring that they continue to work together."

Boring eh!

Yup - just like I said - pants:bounce:

Originally posted by Rodders_UK
Originally posted by fluff34567

aaaggghhhh! computer speak please explain the ACPI pj stuff for me please - dont get me wong if mine goes down i can fiddle and fix it but unsure about the tech jargon side :(

Rob

ACPI stands for Advanced Configuration and Power Interface. It's to do with the way devices are managed under windows and it's pants on a desktop!!!

Oppps, must have posted at the same time, freaky!!!:?::o

Will look into ACPI issue Rodders

How come you are installing 98 anyway, I hate that OS. I can get you a copy of anything (microsoft anyway) if you need it? Just don't tell them!:bounce:

LOL mate - let's not go there cos there'll be loads of argument - suffice to say that I've been in this industry long enough to apreciate the virtues of a robust OS:bounce:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links