Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS250 Boot struts replaced

Neilo

Ordered a pair of gas struts from SGS Engineering for the boot - I fitted them today, they work lovely - no more heavy boot lid.

They're a bit different to the ones I took off - they have round fittings at both ends (not flat at one end) they fit perfectly anyway. 

Put in a new boot carpet from eBay - lovely fit too 🙂  

SGS Engineering strutsOldOldNewNewDSCF0875.thumb.JPG.04afdd04661ad983687b82155be5b77e.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the pictures.

So despite being a completely different connector (the inboard flat end being round on new strut) they still clip on without modification?

6 hours ago, EP80 said:

Thanks for the pictures.

So despite being a completely different connector (the inboard flat end being round on new strut) they still clip on without modification?

Yes they clipped on fine but now you have me thinking.....I should have given them a tug at that end to see if they remained in place. I'll take off the carpet liner again tomorrow and check them for safety's sake then report back.   

I replaced the boot struts on the isF because the boot was so heavy. I thought they had failed. The new ones make the operation just not quite as heavy, just a bit better. An expensive small improvement. Shouldn't have bothered really.

14 minutes ago, GMB said:

I replaced the boot struts on the isF because the boot was so heavy. I thought they had failed. The new ones make the operation just not quite as heavy, just a bit better. An expensive small improvement. Shouldn't have bothered really.

Do you remember which struts you fitted? With the SGS ones - after the boot is popped open it will lift by itself with just a nudge of a finger.  

They must be the Lexus ones because the Lexus garage fitted them and they were not cheap. The boot now just stays in whatever position you leave it. i.e. half way open or whatever. These struts will not lift the boot by itself.

16 minutes ago, GMB said:

They must be the Lexus ones because the Lexus garage fitted them and they were not cheap. The boot now just stays in whatever position you leave it. i.e. half way open or whatever. These struts will not lift the boot by itself.

Do you have extra weight on the boot such as a spoiler maybe....either way it sounds like something is wrong. I believe the purpose of the struts are to make it nearly effortless to lift. I'd take it back to Lexus and see what they say.    

14 hours ago, Neilo said:

Yes they clipped on fine but now you have me thinking.....I should have given them a tug at that end to see if they remained in place. I'll take off the carpet liner again tomorrow and check them for safety's sake then report back.   

Oh no no.... The last thing I want is to pass on my OCD, bet they are fine. Good to know, I had better order a pair next week.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, EP80 said:

Oh no no.... The last thing I want is to pass on my OCD, bet they are fine. Good to know, I had better order a pair next week.

Can only think that the OEM struts are flat at one end for added strength. If only the flat end could be unscrewed and swapped over. The boot operates lovely now.

Cheers

Neil.

• Like 1

Forgot to mention while undoing the trim along the top of the boot - all four plastic clips came away from their glued positions. Tried epoxy resin glue then double sided adhesive velcro but nothing seemed to hold up. Eventually used some thin type number plate adhesive pads...these stuck the clips to the trim solidly.

Hope this helps someone.

Cheers

Neil.    

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links