Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Grille

I happened across this the other day and have been thinking about whether to do the same, it's not a very good photo though so if anyone has done this already I'd appreciate a better photo please.

IMO it takes away some of the chrome look and emphasises the Lexus logo.

Perhaps even all black except the logo?

I've never painted over chrome, so any tips would be greatly appreciated 👍

00A30E59-C610-42A3-8DEF-05E6EBADEA67.png

Many thanks for so many photos Glyn👍- really great!

Well, there’s no doubt I’ll be getting it done now, all I need to do is decide which option🤔. I am leaning more toward all gloss black including the logo - the WIL 44 one does look good but it might be a little too “stealthy” for me. And I am very happy to identify the car as a Lexus especially as it’s well established now as up there with other premium brands. It’s a bit like Newcastle United now challenging the other top clubs 😁.

My car is black too, and I think it certainly suits it particularly well, but will also suit other colours, perhaps leaving the chrome surround though? So hope this starts a new trend for our cars, and without taking away any of the originality. 

So, I’ll just need to find out the best method of painting over the chrome now, so I’ll do some online searches and paste anything useful here. 
Anthony

Well it didn’t take long to find the first article on how to apply paint to chrome, and it was so good that I didn’t need to look any further. It’s very comprehensive and also documents it with diagrams ( shown using alloys but just as applicable for grilles obviously) 

I must admit I was surprised at the number of layers needed, and especially the bit about spraying black paint over the lacquer before relacquerng again to make it even more weatherproof. 

So I’ll be using this method and hope it’s helpful for others too.

https://www.wikihow.com/Paint-Black-Chrome#:~:text=Method

Of course, Anthony and Glyn, you should do exactly as you please in modifying the looks of your SC430s, but wouldn’t it be more appropriate to try and restore so beautiful a car to the appearance originally intended by its designers?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rabbers said:

Of course, Anthony and Glyn, you should do exactly as you please in modifying the looks of your SC430s, but wouldn’t it be more appropriate to try and restore so beautiful a car to the appearance originally intended by its designers?

Everything i have done to my car I can reverse back to normal in less than a day as I want to preserve it's originality.  That's the reason I haven't done the grille so far.  If I do it I will either source another grille to use however the chrome trim on the bonnet is difficult to find on it's own.  Failing this I would try and vinyl wrap the grille surround in blue or paint blue over the wrap so it can easily be removed. However now I have chrome wheels the chrome on the grille does compliment them so I may keep it as it is.  I am in the camp where you can improve the looks of a car to your suit your own personal taste but it may not be mine. I think the Lexus RC300h and RCF are a really nice design and if I didn't have the SC and an RX would probably buy one and leave it as it is.

• Like 3

Well it's hardly a major deviation from that of the original designers by simply spraying the original grille. eg. not like putting "go faster" racing stripes or bigger boot spoilers/ side skirts, etc.

Besides, I would have thought the original designers would've approved of this "modification" after all these years, since it's providing it with a more updated modern look, which is what they might well have done themselves if it was being facelifted for today's market. Look at what other manufacturers (eg Audi & BMW) and enthusiasts have done with their grilles/ logos being similarly "blacked". 

In view of the minimal SC430's around, I've already had several comments asking about if it's a new model - which is clearly a tribute to the designers after all these years. I therefore think that painting the grille will indeed give it an even more "current" look, just to confuse them even further 🤪.

2 hours ago, Glyn Jennings said:

Everything i have done to my car I can reverse back to normal in less than a day as I want to preserve it's originality. …

Admirable thinking, Glyn, which should generally be applied, in my view, to all manner of prized artefacts, whether industrially produced or hand-crafted. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nexus7 said:

Well it's hardly a major deviation from that of the original designers by simply spraying the original grille. eg. not like putting "go faster" racing stripes or bigger boot spoilers/ side skirts, etc.

Besides, I would have thought the original designers would've approved of this "modification" after all these years, since it's providing it with a more updated modern look, which is what they might well have done themselves if it was being facelifted for today's market. Look at what other manufacturers (eg Audi & BMW) and enthusiasts have done with their grilles/ logos being similarly "blacked". 

In view of the minimal SC430's around, I've already had several comments asking about if it's a new model - which is clearly a tribute to the designers after all these years. I therefore think that painting the grille will indeed give it an even more "current" look, just to confuse them even further 🤪.

Anthony, imagining what designers twenty or more years ago would do today is perhaps a bit of a stretch but perfectly fair on your part.  Not sure that pointing to modified BMWs and Audis as sources of inspiration is worthy of a Lexus, but that’s personal bias on my part.  On the other hand, further confusing people who already think the SC430 might be a new model by now painting the grille sounds like a highly satisfying plan to me!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/16/2023 at 5:41 PM, Glyn Jennings said:

I have often contemplated doing mine. Here are some photo’s. I personally like the the one on WIL 44 the best.

IMG_3188.thumb.png.0d7ffa4bf4cb947e7167f9ffb30e28f4.pngIMG_4398.thumb.png.8c214f4360b53a77fb74fe27795e58f2.pngIMG_4397.thumb.png.894fe812f42f4c3608b7c071f9bf9ccb.pngIMG_4396.thumb.png.beb66b4665269d86d0acfa35a80c2d64.pngIMG_3413.thumb.jpeg.79c6f9b737c71872880893171979e1a1.jpegIMG_2111.thumb.webp.bd01c69cbcc40155522715e3d95e4efd.webpIMG_1889.thumb.jpeg.899985c8ff4fc66601542f530a5ada5e.jpeg

I just found these too, which are the two choices that I will decide on 🤔- any further opinions on these choices very welcome - but I will sleep on it for a while and see which I prefer later - I already have primer and lacquer and have today ordered the gloss black spray paint.

2D12B592-ED29-4908-8AFB-E548EBA22C01.jpeg

4F4AAD6A-5E9D-42AA-AF6D-810A69B31913_4_5005_c.jpeg

4 hours ago, Fatts said:

This looks wicked imo 

image.jpeg.428526e7d840bd90e35eef7918a2a8c1.jpeg

Yes, my thinking is swaying that way at the moment. Will be interesting to get some more likes to see which one gets the most votes. 

On 4/17/2023 at 7:18 AM, Nexus7 said:

Well it didn’t take long to find the first article on how to apply paint to chrome, and it was so good that I didn’t need to look any further. It’s very comprehensive and also documents it with diagrams ( shown using alloys but just as applicable for grilles obviously) 

I must admit I was surprised at the number of layers needed, and especially the bit about spraying black paint over the lacquer before relacquerng again to make it even more weatherproof. 

So I’ll be using this method and hope it’s helpful for others too.

https://www.wikihow.com/Paint-Black-Chrome#:~:text=Method

....correction, I misread the latter part of the article, and you DON'T spray black paint over the lacquer (or clear coat as they call it) - it is referring to simply adding additional layers of lacquer after the main black paint coats. Probably obvious to those who are familiar with using spray paint unlike me, but this is just in case anyone else misreads the article as I did!

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finally managed to do it on one of the rare clear weather days!

I’m so pleased that I bit the bullet and think it’s a major improvement so here it is:-

IMG_1156.thumb.jpeg.48a311df2e82a3c0c303141e365a0782.jpeg

It would look even better if we didn’t have to have front number plates like in the US.

1 hour ago, Nexus7 said:

Well I finally managed to do it on one of the rare clear weather days!

I’m so pleased that I bit the bullet and think it’s a major improvement so here it is:-

IMG_1156.thumb.jpeg.48a311df2e82a3c0c303141e365a0782.jpeg

It would look even better if we didn’t have to have front number plates like in the US.

I like it.

Did you know on these 5 slat grilles the Lexus badge is removable as it is only held on by one screw so you also have the option to easily take it off for a cleaner look if you wish. On the later models with the 6 slat grilles it is all part of the moulding of the grille so can’t be removed.

• Like 2

Thanks Glyn, much appreciated👍

Your pointing that out about the badge being removable will certainly be useful for anyone who wants to paint the grille and keep the badge in chrome - the stealth look might be a bit too much for some 🤔😁

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links