Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How to LS400 front and rear discs and pads replacement

If you're comfortable doing brakes on a car these are fairly straightforward. 

From memory, fronts require wear sensor to be removed on OSF, retaining clips for pins to be taken off and then pins removed, this gives you access to pull out the pads. Remove reservoir cap, push back pistons evenly. Do one pair at a time, leave the pads in while doing this to protect the pistons.  Clean, remove caliper and support out of the way so no strain is put on the flexi.  Having an impact screwdriver with the correct bit is almost a necessity I've found for removing discs, the one where you set the bit in the screw and hit the end with a hammer which shocks and turns the retaining screw.  If you don't have one then clean, spray, pray, tap and try to remove the screw.  Replace the disc, pads & shims and re-assemble.  I always clean all the pins etc too.

Rears, I can't remember now but I didn't have any issues and it was straightforward... If I remember I'll edit this post.  There is a handbrake mechanism in the drum part of the disc, adjuster is accessible through the hole in the disc.  There are two shims/backing plates for the rear pads and one is directional too so be careful when taking apart to make sure it goes back together properly.

Also a good opportunity to replace the brake fluid too.

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

heads up, the one retaining screw per disc (at least in the rear) are JIS instead of philips, but it'll probably disintegrate anyway when you try to remove it. Definitely try the impact screwdriver route. I had to call a dealer for replacement ones and they had to be ordered in!

I used this guide for reference https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-1st-to-4th-gen-1990-2006/737269-diy-parking-brake-service-replacement.html

also see here about the adjusters, from our own 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links