Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Potential Roof Rattle Fix? SC 430 and IS250C

Nigel Coleman

Wow!

While doing some more OCD research I came across the following on YouTube.

Surely it's to simple to be true? But then metal against metal makes noise. Not sure how permanent a fix it is? - but if it works it's cheap and can be repeated. 

Could be the answer to SC 430 owners roof rattle problems?

Going to try it when the rain stops. 

I was concerned about the thickness of tape he applied to some retaining brackets/spindles - however if you read the YouTube comments replies he states that what he did has worked and lasted 6 years.

• Like 2

🤔 I too would be wary of the tape eventually fouling the mechanism in some way or other.  I would have thought something like plastic clips originally held loose parts in place and the reason the roof would suddenly develop a rattle is that a retaining clip has broken free somewhere.  Maybe someone could sit in the back (yeah, I know…) while you drive around, hopefully to pinpoint the exact area the rattle is coming from.  Then a parts search online may reveal if there should be some form of clip(s) in that area?

• Like 1

Well finally the sun has been out all day today in Torquay so I was able to half open the metal roof to look at the fixings.

They are totally different on my SC 430 to the hooks and spindles on the IS250C. In the video the IS250C fittings are a lot larger and easier to cover and cushion with duck tape. I'll just do an experiment with a thin covering of tape on the 2 hooks connecting the rear screen panel and the main roof panel and see if that helps?

I have already coated all the rubber seals with Gummi Pflege Stift 

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004B8GTQG?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

which did soften the seals reducing roof noise and I did a 4th. application today. Don't now get any rattle going over potholes unless lateral movement occurs.

• Like 1

Hi Tried some fabric tape today on the front of the SC430 roof as it joins into the front windscreen. I also did not find the areas in the video featured on the IS250 compatible with the SC430 system. But this Youtube video is useful, as it looks at the 5 Best lubricants for restoring rubber seals! I have the ShinEtsu silicon grease for my SC430👌                                                                                                                                

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 2ddesign said:

Hi Tried some fabric tape today on the front of the SC430 roof as it joins into the front windscreen. I also did not find the areas in the video featured on the IS250 compatible with the SC430 system. But this Youtube video is useful, as it looks at the 5 Best lubricants for restoring rubber seals! I have the ShinEtsu silicon grease for my SC430👌                                                                                                                                

Hi jack

I use the Shin-Etsu grease too, it was recommended to me and it proved to be fantastic stuff.....expensive but fantastic! 🤣

• Like 1

Hi jack.

Padding out with fabric tape is not so easy on the SC430 as on the IS250C in the video because of major roof design differences.

Like you I have only done to 2 front into the windscreen locating pins so far. The tolerance is not great so I only wrapped around it twice - about 2+ inches of tape - but it has definitely firmed the fit up and cushioned a little reducing movement and noise. Used black Gorilla Tape - it seems to have more texture than most others?

• Like 2

Still no noise from the roof.

Just checked the gorilla tape applied to the 2 front roof/windscreen pins. The tape around the thin part of the locating pins has already been worn away during numerous opening and closings - tolerance to tight as I thought - but the tape around the top fatter part of the pin has remained in place and is acting as a cushion.

I'll keep an eye on it and see how long it lasts? Still, much better without the noise.

Hi Nigel

So far the fabric tape is doing its job on the drivers side, which is where the knocking noise happened on road bumps!

Still got a whole roll of tape I ordered from amazon, I will bring it to the SC430 meet in June, for anyone else who has this problem to use! 

Great without the noise....

• Like 1

Hi jack

Great to hear we will see you in Coventry next month. I will be there but as my wife will be driving it will be in her Suzuki Swace not my SC430.

Anthony

• 2 weeks later...

IMPORTANT UPDATE!

Another related problem:

So last night the folding roof was down - but would not close. So I looked in the handbook and read the emergency manual roof closing pages. I got to stage 4 but the remaining looked like heavy going so went inside for a cup of tea and to look online. I found an American forum thread suggesting a faulty above windscreen (passenger or driver side) pin locate sensor/switch.

So I looked into the passenger side roof pin location point and immediately saw the black plastic pin cover stuck inside! This was holding the switch below in the "closed position" so the open roof would not close - I removed it and the roof then worked properly.

What had happened was the glue from the worn away Gorilla tape was so sticky that it wedged in place and when the roof was opened pulled the plastic cover off the actual metal pin keeping the switch on.

So the roof is now working but it's back to being noisy when closed.

It looks like the tape is not such a good idea?

Any thoughts from members?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links