Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Exhaust Backbox - IS250 - 57 Plate - pipe sleeve & bolts

Hello all

The exhaust backbox on my IS250 has come off the body and exhaust pipe (Y-section). It is due to corrosion between the pipe and backbox junction. I cannot afford just now to put a new y-section on, so trying to repair it by inserting an expanded pipe sleeve between the original pipe and backbox. Any recommendations on the pipe? I guess it has to be  45 deg bend pipe to go on between the pipe and backbox?

Also, does anybody know the bolt sizes or part number that hold the backbox to the car body via rubber brackets? How to source these out?

Any helpful suggestions be much appreciated

Rear part is ~£220, the middle section is what costs fortune ~£1000... well that is if you buy OEM. Mid and rear sections costs like £700 custom made from scratch.

I would say it is too late for sleeve - sleeve could be used if you had a hole and it was blowing through. But if you backbox complete fell off, then sleeve wont help, besides it is non-standard angle ... so it is not like you can get 60 or 45 degree sleeve... it will be something stupid like 22.5 degree down and 67.25 degree right.

As Ian suggested I would just go to exhaust shop and ask them to weld it back on... use some scrap pipe to reinforce it and that is it. Once upon the time I lost my rear silencer as well, it wasn't even rusted but looked like metal fatigue around the weld (like clean broken metal). So I took it to local garage and they welded it back on for ~£70 if my memory serves. 

Worst case scenario - they can weld the broken part shut and you can drive it with single pipe for time being, on IS250 double exhaust is nothing more but "style", the exhaust merges into single pipe anyway over the rear diff, and then split again into 2 pipes for no reason apart of looking better. I mean sure - it would not look beautiful, but would be acceptable for time being if money is the real issue... and importantly it would be road worthy/MOT passing. Then when you get money you could replace whole rear section with reproduction. 

On 4/28/2023 at 3:25 PM, Spark plug said:

This happened to me and I got a local garage that does welding to weld it for me a new rear part is a fortune to buy 

I second this - both sides of my original exhaust fell off and they were welded back by the local garage. Cost £30 each time. They were fine up until I sold the exhaust (upgraded to an aluminium one)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links