Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

my new car plummets in value

Well, just found out my car that i purchased last July has gone down by £11'000 and iv'e only done 3'000 miles. Lucky I have no plans for selling but nonetheless Lexus don't hold their value it seems today 

Gone are the days when a dealer was looking to make 4000 total on a used car sale (2000 on the car your buying and 2000 on yours)

Its not only Lexus but with used car prices being still high there,s a lot of greeditis going on (with everything)

So a 30000 used car on the forecourt, drive it away and a month later your looking at a 6000 hit. They'd give you 24000 a month later...then guess what...back on the fourcourt for a smidge under the 30000 and resold....

The devaluation graph angle instead of being a steady slope seems to be fall of a cliff then a steady slope but starts after 12 month of ownership.

It's a funny old market, used cars still on demand....

The 'real trick' is to blank out your mind of anything to do with equity and cars...

A stat from someone I know in the business seems to suggest that a high percentage of cars in the market are being acquired on lease schemes and are purely seen as a 'rented piece of equipment' instead of any sort of owned asset.

• Like 1

It always devaluates from new the moment you took it out from the dealer. 
Toyota and Lexus brands (especially hybrid models)always have good resale values but it all depends on the current economic situation. For example nowadays, used cars are in demand as no new cars are coming/in stock thus pushing the used car price as almost the same price for a new car.  

• 2 weeks later...

Unless there's any further delays, I'll be trading in my UX when my new NX arrives at the dealers in September. As things stand, I'm confident I'm in positive equity. At the time I ordered, the salesman did tell me he could guarantee to hold a trade-in price for three months, so I'm hoping to receive 'the call' to go in over the next month or so for a price.

Looking at similar UX models of the same age to mine currently for sale at various dealers, I think I'll come out 'okay' but of course, that's famous last words. If they value it below what I feel it's worth as a trade-in (not full retail - I'm completely realistic), I will be looking to sell it elsewhere. 

It's indeed all part of new car ownership unfortunately. We all know they lose value the moment you drive them off the forecourt but given used values at the moment, we seem to be in a reasonably 'sweet spot' when it comes to selling/trading in our existing vehicles. I only hope that can remain the case for at least another couple of months because inevitably as supply slowly improves on new vehicles, that'll have a negative effect on values of used cars. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links